3 small wishes for future version

Kaare Baekgaard

Question

1. A menu item, that makes all palettes 'jump back' to default positions, that can be specified. I often get them all clustered up in the process of working.

2. I use the 'set working plane' tool quite often, but I don't much care for the working plane palette. I have to use it, however, for the purpose of pressing the 'look at working plane'-button. I would like that button also to be present in the mode-bar of the 'set working plane'-tool, so I can ditch the palette.

3. For reasons beyond my comprehension, I still cannot tab my way into the object info palette. I have put it on the wish list several times already. A simple shfit-tab would be adequat. This may seem like a minor item, but it makes a huge difference in the amount of time spent with the mouse in the hand..

6 answers to this question

1. File > Workspaces > select the current workspace seems to do this for me, though I'm a little unclear on why it does. I don't think I specified in the Workspace Editor which palettes are to be open, and certainly not where they're to be located. Maybe it's just reverting to the way that workspace was configured when I started up VectorWorks, or maybe after the last workspace editing session.

3. Can anyone tab into the OIP? Tab normally moves into and through the Data Display Bar, which I think most people wouldn't want to change. I don't use the tab key for that, but I also don't ever take my hand off the mouse except when typing a text object.

I've had RSI since 1996 and other nerve damage since 2002. Unfortaunately there is no single remedy for these injuries. Posture and desk/chair/computer arrangement are of paramount importance.

Stretching regularly is also very helpful, long days are simply out of the question (unless prepared to accept the painful and occassionally permanent consequences), and light muscle building work with a very small dumbell (1-1.5lk/ 2-3 pounds) for the muscles in the forearm are good too.

This site might be of some help:

www.ergonomics.com.au/howtosit.htm

I've learned that pain won't simply go away on it's own, it requires a change of pattern (position/hours/exercise).

Kaare, is that like "carpal tunnel syndrome" or "repetitive stress injury"? Or something new? What are the signs? Is it caused by all mouse use, or primarily by clicking the buttons? I once had a mouse with buttons that required a lot of force, and that became painful to use.

You said you would prefer a Shift-tab combination. But I always thought it was the key combinations that caused the most problems -- they're painful to me if I do a lot of them in the course of a day, especially long-reach combinations such as Ctrl-P. Don't they bother you?

I do try to use the keyboard in place of the mouse as much as possible, but as simple keystrokes, not combinations. I never use tool icons, and rarely use pull-down menus, and I avoid other palettes as much as possible. I try to use the mouse only for clicking on points in the drawing window.

I don't know a whole lot about repetitive stress injury, as Adin clearly does. I handled my own symptoms by buing a Wacom digitizer, that I use for a while everytime the problem arises. The digitizer is in many ways inferior to the mouse, but it takes care of the pain.

I believe somebody once told me, that mouse disease is caused by the fact, that one uses muscles designed for 'coarse motor functions' to do 'fine motor function' work.