Problem Exporting from Lightwright to Spotlight

Hello,

I have a real small plot which I exported succesfully from Spotlight 9.5 into Lightwright 3.? Just to check, all I changed in LW was that I added channel and color information to each unit. I then exported back into SL. I followed the manual appendix "D" (also I did not check the "import first record" in the Instrument Data Import dialog)

All of the units supposedly imported back but it then said that some of the units were not imported and left orpans in the lower left corner of the plot. All that was in the orphan section was the color name, the channel number, the circuit circle and the channel hexagon.

What gives? Am I missing something?

Patrick Immel

Hello

I have been working with moving between these two programs. It sounds to me like you don't have the unique IDs for vector works in your LW file. Make sure that when you are exporting from VW spotlight that you export the unique ID fields. Then when you are importing into LW link the UIF with the external ID column in the LW import dialogue box. Then when you go the other way you must set the unique ID field to look at the external ID from LW. This should give the option to link the rest of the information with its partner and then you can import the information to the correct instruments on the drawing

The point is that the information coming from LW must have a VW unique ID associated with it otherwise VW sees it as a new unit and creates an orphan

This should work for you

Good Luck

Tlaloc Lopez-Watermann

Lighting Fellow

Arena Stage

When I export out of SL what exactly is the name of the unique ID? I am not seeing anything with that name. All I can see is "Lightwright ID"!

It sounds to me like you don't have the unique IDs for vector works in your LW file. Make sure that when you are exporting from VW spotlight that you export the unique ID fields.

quote:

Originally posted by td4stage:
When I export out of SL what exactly is the name of the unique ID? I am not seeing anything with that name. All I can see is "Lightwright ID"!
[/b]

The Unique ID is automatically exported by spotlight. You just have to make sure that you properly map this to LightWright's "External ID" field.

Kevin,

I took your advice and my units imported back into SL fine (although there is now an "Orphans" section on the plot with nothing in it. Also the dialog said everything came in fine!). The channel numbers and such are in the OI pallette but are not showing up in the plot. I have a label legend applied (I think!) What else am I missing?

Sorry for being such a pest!

pat Immel

quote:

Originally posted by td4stage:
Kevin, The channel numbers and such are in the OI pallette but are not showing up in the plot. I have a label legend applied (I think!) What else am I missing?

Once you've got the data back into SpotLight, run the refresh instruments command to force the labels. to update. If your labels all disappear then you might have accidentally blanked out the "legend name" field in the transition back and forth.