VW "lite" ?

propstuff

Question

Greetings,

Part of my working week involves teaching (VectorWorks amongst other things) to Design students. The courses I teach in are populated mostly by people who intend to be self employed (Small Business) arts and design practitioners.

After leaving the Institute to start their businesses, there is currently no "easy" way to go from the cost of a Student license, (about AU$250) to a commercial license (about AU$1800). It's a big jump for someone straight out of training -with all their other set-up costs as well.

On the other hand, Autodesk offer QuickCad ($150), Autosketch ($250), then LT, then AutoCad.

There is a strong "upgrade path" before getting to the specialties, and probably a good marketing strategy.

So, how about VW "LT"??

Perhaps limited to a maximum of 3 Layers and 3Classes?

Perhaps limited file size?

Perhaps with no PIOs, or the PIOs visible, but Greyed out, (or only enough functioning to want more)?

Perhaps 2D only?

Perhaps 2D& 3D, but no Power-Pack tools?

etc etc etc,

I have to "convince" my students why I'm teaching them VW, and not ACad. A VW upgrade path would make more sense to them.

cheers,

N.

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

I think that would be a great idea too. I work with some small cabinet shops doing CNC work and they are trying to use these CAD-CAM programs with the worst interface for drawing. I show them Vectorworks and they're astounded at the east of use for 2D line work. Ashlar used to have Drawing Board which would be ideal, but isn't available anymore.

I've often wanted a simple 2D, quick launching program to produce 2D parts for CNC work. Small shop CNC is becoming more viable and the low-cost CAM software solutions routinely use DXF for input. I like the idea.

• Like 1

In the olds days of Minicad and Deligraphsoft they had a product called Blueprint which was basicely MiniCad cut back to be a pure 2D version. Which might fit the bill.

it would be good for there to be a path of upgrades.

If only to help keep well trained VW people in the programme, build a following and such.

• Like 1

Blueprint was a really fast program on earlier power pc machines...

I think the idea of VW viewer is excelent for the persons and companies that offers printing services. But they need a LT or LC (low cost) version of VW, for other services. New profesionals need it too. What are you waiting, NNA?

[ 07-21-2004, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: RHF ]

• Like 1

C'mon, folks - there IS already a VW Lite: the standard issue. In Australia, that costs AUD 1897 with free support, while AutoCAD LT costs AUD 1734, from a discount mail order store without any support. I challenge anyone to demonstrate that AutoCAD LT is even close to VW as comes to features and functionality. Upgrade path - yeah, right: not in the price lists, but surely upgrade from a to a program that retails for AUD 5445 must be somewhat expensive.

Petri,

I think you've missed the point here a bit. No one is suggesting (at least not me) that VW is not better value, more functional, easier to use, etc, than Acad.

I made 2 points; the first is that most neophyte Draftspeople know of ACad and (quote from more than 1 student) "can get it for nothing". Apart from pointing out that cracked software is theft, I have to convince them of what we already know about the value of VW, and, that that value is worth the "inconvenience" of not using the "Industry standard" software.

I have the Industry Series with Renderworks: I can't personally express my satisfaction with VW's value for money better than that. ;-)

The second point, and this is the relevant one, is that starting a business is a big financial burden. The Higher Education Scheme payments for Design/Architecture type courses is $5400 per year. Apart from all other course/tuition/material/living costs that is. Many tertiary graduates (and specially 5 year Architecture graduates) finish their Degrees broke, with a $30,000 debt to service. Then business set-up costs etc etc.

If you happen to be wealthy enough to be able to afford to not work for 5 years, and pay for the costs of education, and set up a business, then why not just buy the full lot first-off?; but for most......................................

All I was suggesting Petri, is what many software developers believe: that "entry level" versions of their product engage a market that is in addition to their proffessional market, and serve to introduce more people to their more expensive offerings.

N.

• Like 1

Apart from pirated software, my point is exactly that VW costs only as much as AutoCAD LT.

Secondly, very few people set up shop immediately after graduation; in architecture extremely few. In fact, you must (in Australia) work at least two years after graduation under a registered architect to get to take the registration exam, so your example is quite hypothetical, not relevant.

Thirdly, plain vanilla VW is a de facto entry level version: your software combo costs, I think, about AUD 4500! For serious, productive professional work one needs at least one add-on package, maybe two, and there's the upgrade path.

Finally, if we look at the situation from NNA's end, creating a low-cost version is an expense - and would at the same time erode their revenue the same way LT erodes Autodesk's revenue. I know many AutoCAD shops where all licences (except perhaps one) are for LT. (And even more of those where they don't have even one licenced copy.)

Software is expensive, I know that all too well, but in the scheme of things, VW is cheap compared with practically anything - CAD or non-CAD. Why, a simple page layout program such as InDesign costs over AUD 1000, PhotoShop almost AUD 1000 and so on. QuarkXPress is AUD 2300.

Anyway, my experience is that those people who most loudly complain about software prices (I'm not referring to you, Nicholas, but my fellow architects) would complain just as much for half the price. Having worked 10 years as an IT consultant for architects, I know...

[ 07-23-2004, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Petri ]

On 23/07/2004 at 10:29 AM, matto said:

The Lite version also makes a great one for the director's computer.

Especially if it tied in to the cloud services and ran on a touchscreen tablet or computer.

Indeed 'VW-lite" almost as a skunkworks project to put as much function as possible each year on modern lightweight Touchscreen hardware.

Could be a great way to target both markets where the value isn't there to warrant a full version. Plus have existing customers willing to kick the can a little more to help as better leverage the information we have already generated. I know I'd be interested if I never had to carry a mark up set again. 

The revenue stream then funds a new core engine that could well be ready when the great (ie. disruptive) transition occurs.

• Like 1