PLEASE!!!!!: INTERACTIVE SECTIONS

RubenH

Question

11 answers to this question

Not only live sections, but ones where solid objects are actually solid (and I don't mean only solids, but also slabs, walls, roofs, extrusions etc. - anything in 3D that has a fill or texture. Ideally, there would also be two line weight definitions - one for, say, perspectives and axos, another for plans and sections (plan being a horizontal section.)

The implementation might be best handled with viewports, by adding a section line that would work in the same fashion as crops, with the option of a 'double line', ie. the depth of the section.

Sections should also be able to viewed in perspective. In the good old drawing board days I did sections in scale 1:20, sometimes with the background in perspective.

Now, in some professional fields, the required section planes are not necessarily vertical, so obviously the section line needs to be definable in any projection of the viewport.

'Cascading' booleans for these live sections would of course be hugely nice....

Live Sections means basicely that a majority of work can be done in 3D.

after all

sections are vertical sections

plans are horizonal sections

elevations are just a section taken just outside the building.

also, diminishing line thicknesses.

so objects further from the section plane have lighter line weights. then we can produce highly professional drawings from a model.

Petri and Iboymatt have articulated the desireable requirements well.

I for one look at the live sectioning capabilities of programs like BOA and Revit, and to a lesser extent Archicad and SketchUp, with envy. And wonder why not!

Any chance of a comment from NNA on whether 'Live Sections' are coming or not!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by mike m oz:

Any chance of a comment from NNA on whether 'Live Sections' are coming or not!

It is NNA's policy not to comment specifically on what features are coming and when, both for the Adam Osbourne effect* and to avoid possible disappointment if we can't finish a feature in time. The folks at NNA are aware, however, of the importance of sections, including live ones.

(Adam Osbourne managed to kill his company, Osbourne Computers, by declaring in an interview how much better the next version of his company's portable was going to be. Sales of the current version plummeted, and the company went bankrupt before that next version was ever produced.)

I like iboymatt's view of sections:

"Live Sections means basicely that a majority of work

can be done in 3D. after all

sections are vertical sections

plans are horizonal sections

elevations are just a section taken just outside the building."

It would be great if it could be done this way - I can see a few problems with the hybrid environment however.

BOA and SketchUp manage to do it so it shouldn't be impossible.