Cable labeling

I'm am having difficulty with the cable labeling I want to get it to use the source device to increment the first number.  I.E. NSW01-01 will start with N1001-N1024 and NSW01-02 will have N2001-N2024, and so forth and so on.  it seems like none of the built in rules do anything close to this and I can get the filters to do what I want it to do. 

Help!

52 minutes ago, AudioEngiNerd said:

I'm am having difficulty with the cable labeling I want to get it to use the source device to increment the first number.  I.E. NSW01-01 will start with N1001-N1024 and NSW01-02 will have N2001-N2024, and so forth and so on.  it seems like none of the built in rules do anything close to this and I can get the filters to do what I want it to do. 

Help!

I don't think the built in automatic numbering tools will do exactly this but the Spotlight Numbering tool can do it.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

So the source device name has to match the prefix NSW01-0 and grab the suffix 1 or 2 as the case may be, and the cable numbers matching these criteria will be the suffix + a 3-digit incrementing number - correct?

So, if I understood correctly this should get you what you want.

Conrad

image.pngimage.png

• Like 1

Thanks, this is helpful.  I would love to see the ability for the Src_Dev_Name to be unique and iterate the numbering automatically, but I can use the device report to see how many device names I have an create numbering systems for each one.

Another thing that I have already run into is that I am not necessarily using every port on a patch bay or switch so if there is a way to ensure that the last digit matches the number of the port that it is plugging into that would be great. 

SCR-20240715-kofc.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @AudioEngiNerd

Have a look at how this sample numbering system works. We look for device names with a prefix that indicated a patch panel and grab the suffix to be part of the circuit number. All this is quite well explained in the online help.

Conrad