return to previous tool

vajrabelle

Question

Sorry if this is a repeat...the wish list is too long to read through all the topics when I registered today.

I seem to remember, in an earlier version, that you could hit the return key to switch from the current tool to the previously used tool. I don't know if the return key is the best choice for this, but any one button command for this functionality would be dreamy.

5 answers to this question

I remember that. It was only in one release, I think -- maybe 8.5? And wasn't it that if you hit the key for the current tool it returned to the previous tool? It definitely wouldn't be a good idea to have the Enter key do that, since the Enter key is critical for entering dimension data.

At first it was confusing, until I figured out what was going on (I hadn't read the release notes). But once I got used to it I really liked it. You could keep changing back and forth between two tools by repeatedly hitting the same key. That was handy for switching between Select and Offset, and for using ZoomIn or ZoomOut and then continuing with whatever you were doing.

But it disappeared in the next release. Maybe a lot of people complained about it. Maybe because it was hard to catch onto without prior warning.

What you are looking for is the boomerang mode, covered in the User's Guide.

Click on the first tool you want to use and use it normally. Before clicking on the second tool, hold the space bar down. Click on the second tool, and still holding down the space bar, use the tool. When the space bar is released, the previously used tool will be the active tool.

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

What you are looking for is the boomerang mode, covered in the User's Guide.

Click on the first tool you want to use and use it normally. Before clicking on the second tool, hold the space bar down. Click on the second tool, and still holding down the space bar, use the tool. When the space bar is released, the previously used tool will be the active tool.

It works with key commands as well as palette clicks.

I use this a lot when using the mirror, rotate and offset tools when I need the selection tool to edit various objects:

0- Select an object to edit

1- Select the offset (or mirror/rotate) tool

2- Do what you want to the selected object

3- Press and hold the space bar, press and hold X

4- Select the next object to edit.

5- release the space bar and the X key.

6- You're back to the offset (or mirror/rotate) tool(go to step 2)