Parametric casework Work Arounds and Wishes

bclydeb

Question

I posted a reply in one of the threads regarding parametric casework and countertops and the fact that the sink bowls are always full of either coutertop or cabinet top and are not modeled as true, 3D full depth sinks. They always have a full of dishwater "water line".

A comment and a cople of votes.

The comment: I have always had this problem with the parametric casework modules. My solution has been to simply create a rounded rectangle to match the sink, convert it to a thin extrude and texture it with a water texture. So the sink bowl has water in it. I have on one occaision stuck a flower bouquet in a vase image prop in a sink bowl as though someone was watering it in the sink. This distracted from the appearance of the shallow bowl caused by the "solid" casework passing through the sink bowls. I suppose image props of dishes sticking out of the sink, etc. wold lend a homey, real life effect to any kitchen design. Another thing I have tried is declaring the basic casework color to be a water blue. Attributes palette coloring. This is what shows in the sink. The rest of the cabinet is colored or shaded with the class textures - wood, paint, etc. that have been declared for the cabinet.

Yes - these are "work arounds" - but until NNA believes it is a real item to fix - base cabinets which are hollow and can be declared to have real swinging/sliding doors and drawers which actually pull out sometimes - then work arounds must be used. Of course one could build your own custom casework using 3d modeling tools, as some actual cabnetworkers I have met do.

The parametric casework modules are very useful for some types of projects to quickly arrive at a casework solution. For creating renderable models they have limitations.

A vote: For the suggestion by Peter Cipes to have casework and countertops which automatically cut into parametric counters and casework is not bad.

My suggestion:

How about making the parametric casework more true to life by having it create hollow carcases simulating the real thing. Then dropping in a sink or rangetop doesn't produce anomalies like phony water levels in the sink! A sink base will be open at the top, below the countertop so a sink set in a hole punched into the separate countertop had a real cabinet space to set into. Then instead of having to ignore the dishwater level or camouflage it - we could put real dishes in the sink, fill one bowl with water leave the other dry or whatever we choose for a "special effect".

The next logical step would be to have doors which could open and see the shelving, 3D representations which don't show the shelf line telegraphed through the end walls, more options for finishing casework ends, casework which conforms to walls which do 22.5, 30, 45 (how about any reasonable angle) degree bends (banana and zee shaped casework). Yes VWA does corner cabinets with 45 degree faces but it does not have cabinets which do corners. Wrap around corners - at various angles.

Then there are island casework with odd shapes ?

1 answer to this question

bclydeb - thanks for the vote. I like your ideas too and am a HUGE advocate for realistic (virtual?) modeling of each element of a structure. Specifically in regard to cabinetry here's something you might try: Use the wall tool to make your cabinet boxes out of very skinny walls (3/4" or whatever you want) then you can use a simple extruded bottom (or top). You can then use the door plugin to insert doors, etc. The only big drawback in this is how the cabinets will read in plan view (and of course the time it will take - but that may be worth it...). I have never actually tried this, but I think I'm about to for one particular project which may require very realistic interior renderings. If you try it (or something else?) let us know how it works.

Peter Cipes