Thomas: just for my own curiosity, and since noone else seems interested in this issue, what happens when you open a file that uses a Greek unicode font? Are the texts blank? Or do some other characters display in place of the Greek letters? Or is a different font substituted? (I'm wondering if there might be some way to create a workaround for the problem you described.)

quote:

Originally posted by jan15:

Thomas: just for my own curiosity, and since noone else seems interested in this issue, what happens when you open a file that uses a Greek unicode font? Are the texts blank? Or do some other characters display in place of the Greek letters? Or is a different font substituted? (I'm wondering if there might be some way to create a workaround for the problem you described.)

Thomas: What software are your correspondents using, that does support unicode? I just tried getting unicode or even extended (beyond 256) non-unicode characters into AutoCad 2004, with no success. In VectorWorks, the Greek letters displayed while I was typing them, and changed to other characters when I closed the text box. But in AutoCad, they didn't even display while being typed.

Also: is your relationship with your collaborators such that you could ask them to use a particular font? I ask because I see that there's enough space in a 256 character font file to get both Latin and Greek alphabets, in upper and lower case. You could create a custom font file that would be able to display both English and Greek in any CAD program.

αβγδεζη (apparently this forum supports unicode)

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Karavis:

Please make Vectorworks Unicode Compliant!. I would hate to stop using Vectorworks! Pleeease!

Me too.

We are having the same problems with Icelandic characters. Like ????. Unicode support would be great.

Hans-Olav Andersen

• 8 months later...

I don't know about AutoCAD, but Unicode has become an undisputed necessity, by world user consensus. All other software is growing to depend on the assumption that Unicode is there. Making users create special fonts will soon doom Vectorworks to obsolete status. A temporary workaround is to create the wanted text in another application and paste it into a VW drawing as a picture, but don't expect users to tolerate the need for that workaround long.

It's true that you can include Unicode characters in text objects while editing, and even select and copy them, but the moment the object's edit mode is exited VW converts each Unicode character to its 16-bit representation as if it were 2 8-bit characters. And the copied text, if pasted back into the drawing as a picture, contains unusable renditions of the Unicode characters (such as 20% of the proper size).

So, if Nemetschek decides not to adopt Unicode soon, let me know and I'll short the company's stock.

Hello Thomas and others

I'll be the last one to stop VW from going into Unicode, but I suspect that the problem you are describing is not necessarily Unicode related.

I'm using VW in Israel and using, of course, a lot of Hebrew. Since Hebrew is a "complex" language for computers apps, some apps doesn't support it through the operating system mechanism, and prefer to create a special "in-application" support for the Hebrew text. Autocad supports Hebrew with several 3rd party lisps that uses text bye their own rules, and makes importing text, to other apps like VW, a nightmare.

I think you should check if Greek text is not being handled by Autocad in the same lousy way. If it does, I think the best way to solve that issue is to create a script that switch characters tables, and convert the text between the 2 platforms.

And something to finish with: don?t get me wrong ? I think NNA SHOULD support Unicode! And even before implementing this, they should expand the capability of the existing DWG/DXF import and export commands, so they can let the user create "switch characters tables". If I remember correctly such tools are part of the OpenDWG libraries that VW uses as a translation engine, it is just not implemented in VW