Assign Z heights to 3D objects

propstuff

Question

Often after extruding object I want to send them to a particular Zheight. (think,for example, of a "slab" model of a balcony )

In the OIP, there is the little graphic of the bounding boxes of the object. I want one of those for 3D objects.

If I was in top/plan view I would get a graphic of the plan of the object. If I was in front view I would get a front etc. (and in an iso view, an iso graphic!)

To edit the object dimensions or Z height I could select the "corner" which would be the reference point just as in 2D objects.

Would make life much easier for me.

cheers,

N.

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Have you looked at using a floor instead of an extrude? Floors are always aligned with the ground plane. They have a bottom height and a thickness, which you can set on creation or change from the OI palette.

Look under Model->Architectural->Floor... for the floor creation menu command.

Hi Andrew,

Yes I have used the Floor tool, but I would like much more control over 3D objects. As I suggested in my post; similar to the level of control currently given to 2D objects.

Also the bounding boxes of both 2D &3D objects REALLY *should* reflect the size of the actual object and not the extent of bezier verticies and arc centres etc that may comprise the object.

The current situation makes the bounding box a pretty useless "feature" for these type of objects as far as I can see.

cheers,

N.