Artistic Effects

johnharley

Question

I have just upgraded to VW 11 and are still in the process of evaluating the improvements. One feature I was very excited about was the new "artistic effects". This is very much akin to using filters or plugins in Photoshop.

I was very disappointed to discover this feature does NOT work on 2d objects. There is a note in the manual, however, I think it should be listed in large bold print in the online literature.

I would like to see 2d capability added to this feature. I really believe this is a major missed opportunity that would clearly put VW in a class by itself.

Please keep in mind, that for myself (and a lot of other design professions)2d documents are the bread and butter. 95% of our documents are 2d plans. 3d renderings are the "special presentations" and are far less frequent.

Please expand this new tool. The ability to draw blocks of color and then apply a filter to achieve a visual effect instantly would be incredibly valuable!

11 answers to this question

If you have a floor plan created of 3d objects, and the view is in a top view (the 3d top view), artistic RW will render the drawing.

Same holds true if you have an elevation that you haven't converted to polygons. As long as the view is a 3d view, it will render in Artistic RenderWorks.

You can also convert your 2d polys to 3d polys and use ARW to apply the artistic features to the rendering.

[ 04-29-2004, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Hi Katie, your suggestion works well, escept for one thing: in some of the artistic modes (tapered lines for instance) walls do not join seem to join properly and end up showing a diagonal line at each (90?) wall join. The overall result is great and looks very hand-drawn, BUT it would be so much better if these little diagonal lines went away. Could you add that to someone's list?

Fond Regards,

Peter Cipes

I also have been using image fills. They are nice to use, however, they greatly increase print/processing time.

I have been playing around with converting to 3d polys. I have only had marginal success. I find if there are any 2d elements left in the drawing, it crashes.

Since this IS a wish list forum I'm sticking with my original request. In fact I will slightly modify it: I would like to see the Artistic Effects extended to 2D, including the ability to work if an image is inserted in the drawing and....... in the options box a "check box" to ignore text.

Anyone who uses Photoshop or PaintShop Pro knows that using filters is extremely powerful. I really do believe this would propel VectorWorks to an entirely new level.

[ 04-30-2004, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: johnharley ]