Undo "History" palette

propstuff

Question

This has probably been said before, but,......

Cmd-Z, being a well worked tool for me ;-D

I would love a history palette like Photoshop, Illustrator etc.

Sometimes complex 3D undos take FOREVER (the spinning ball of death), on my machine, often many times longer than the original action. {:-O

Being able to jump back to the desired instance directly would be a joy.

cheers,

N.

6 answers to this question

quote:

Originally posted by propstuff:Being able to jump back to the desired instance directly would be a joy.

While this is a nice idea, more often than not, undoing an undesired action in the past would also undo more recent actions, with unknown consequences. Consider the matter from time travel point of view: the last action is a solid subtraction. If you undo the creation of one of the objects used, what would happen to the subtraction?

Petri said

quote:

the last action is a solid subtraction. If you undo the creation of one of the objects used, what would happen to the subtraction?

Exactly the same thing that happens now if you use the Undo command 1,2, 3, or whatever times.

-Just on a palette so you can go direct to the instance you want to return to. And that's not even considering the "continuous" and "non continuous" modes!

Have you seen an Adobe History palette?

For the design process they're fantastic.

cheers,

N.

quote:

Originally posted by propstuff:

Exactly the same thing that happens now if you use the Undo command 1,2, 3, or whatever times.

Yes, I know Adobe's approach, but can't really see the benefits. The implementation of the undo interface won't make the operations themselves any faster - if anything, it could be slower. After a series of operations, you don't really know what you did at a particular stage. Even in PhotoShop, I know I make dozens of changes in a minute and have to use simple undo steps.

Not that I would oppose a history palette, I just don't see it as a priority.

Also, I did make a false assumption of your particular request: the issue has been raised earlier several times, often with 'non-linear' undos in mind, so my tone was unduly blunt.

i think "non-linear" undos would indeed present a lot of problems, but being to multi undo with a single command to a named event would a great thing.

even if it takes some time, knowing it will be back to where you want means you can use that waiting time for so many small productive things.

instead of having to wait for each undo.