Mapping Textures

SacSurfin'

Question

Mapping textures now is only done currently at the object level, making it very time consuming to adjust the offset and rotation to the copies. The ability to view the object , rotate and offset accordingly, and affect the actual texture instead of only the objects mapping would be great. Right now I have simple symbols containing multiple tiles lined up for the roof edges, They're longer then needed so I can just ungroup and delete those tiles I don't need. So I use these same symbols for all my roofs but the texture and color are always changing and to go in and adjust the offset and roation on a couple hundred tile to make them look real takes forever.

3 answers to this question

Or the possiblity of giving an option to what some programs call an instance, which is when an object is copied, an option is given to instance or copy, an instance changes all copies when original is changed, wherein a copy doesn't. This would come in handy for many copies of the same object, if one is resized or re-textured or changed in any way , the others all change to.

Why not change the texture itself, rather than the mapping? You can also use class settings for texture, and change the texture for all items in a class by changing the class attributes, rather than selecting and editing each object.

Another technique I've used is to have a generic texture called, for example "roof". Then I'll have a series of other textures ("standing seam", "shingle", "tile", etc.) I can edit the texture "roof" and import the image from any of the other textures. Not sure how this would work with shaders, etc., but it's great for image based textures.

Also, if you're using many copies of the same object, why not make it a symbol? Editing the symbol would change all your objects at once.

Kristen

[ 04-02-2004, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Kristen ]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by SacSurfin':

Or the possiblity of giving an option to what some programs call an instance, which is when an object is copied, an option is given to instance or copy, an instance changes all copies when original is changed, wherein a copy doesn't. This would come in handy for many copies of the same object, if one is resized or re-textured or changed in any way , the others all change to.

Isn't this the same thing as a symbol? The only difference seems to be that it allows direct editing, rather than having to go into an "Edit Symbol" mode, which is a user interface issue.