scroll like Aoutcad

J Parkin

Question

why can;t we move around a drawing like Autocad users can.

zoom with scroll,

pan with scroll button,

surely this would be easy to set up, and make moving around drawings faster. Its one of the few things i like when i start using autocad again.

the other Big thing that I like about Autocad is the command line.. Im suffering from OOS, the repitive Ctrl+... commands in vectorworks are not good for it. A little bit more freedom in how we can set up the interface with the program would be really nice.

15 answers to this question

You can zoom with the scroll if you hold down the control key. Just moving the scroll wheel moves the page up and down.

I don't know how you'd want to pan with the scroll button .. you just hold the spacebar down while you move the drawing around using the mouse. Or you can select the tool, or use keyboard shortcut and move the mouse around.

The scroll wheel only goes up and down, so you are limited to directly up and down and directly left and right - which is why it was reserved for zooming.

J Parkin: AutoCad's new scroll wheel zoom/pan is a nice feature. I'm glad to see they've finally come up with something of value for that $3000 price tag. But VectorWorks has a lot of good zooming and panning options that AutoCad doesn't have, such as arrow-key panning, zooming by double-tapping the ZoomIn and ZoomOut tool keys, and pan by dragging.

And I agree that Ctrl-key commands are a pain, but you can solve that by buying a macro utility (I use MacroExpress, $40) and a keyboard with programmable extra keys (I use Focus 8200, with 12 extra function keys) and then assigning each of those slow and painful combination keys to a single key. With these two simple additions VectorWorks becomes a real pleasure to use, much better than AutoCad's tedious system of having to hit the Enter key or space bar every time you pick a tool or issue a command.

I agree that the way Autocad and some other programs use the scroll wheel for zooming and panning is superior and would be #1 on my list of changes or options for Vectorworks. It is hands down the easiest and fastest way to move around while drawing; no extra hand,no extra key press - with your hand already on the mouse it just requires a simple finger movement, very fluid and intuitive.

If you don't mind losing the "Right Click" functions:

For a Logitech Scroll Mouse-

-set Wheel Button to Keystroke "Space"

-Set Right Button to Advanced Click "option(alt)"

To Zoom:

-hold down Right Button and use Scroll Wheel.*

To Pan:

-Hold down Wheel Button and Right Click to "grab," during this type of panning the Wheel can also be spun to Zoom in and out!**

*It does not work if a command is active since Right Click is now a "Click", ergo- xx to clear.

**Release right button first or no pan.

It's cool....but cooler than Right Click? [Roll Eyes]

If only I had a five button mouse....

quote:

Originally posted by EvB:

If you don't mind losing the "Right Click" functions:

For a Logitech Scroll Mouse-

-set Wheel Button to
Keystroke
"Space"

-Set Right Button to
Advanced Click
"option(alt)"

To Zoom:

-hold down Right Button and use Scroll Wheel.*

To Pan:

-Hold down Wheel Button and Right Click to "grab,"
during this type of panning the Wheel can also be spun to Zoom in and out!

*It does not work if a command is active since Right Click is now a "Click", ergo-
xx
to clear.

**Release right button first or no pan.

It's cool....but cooler than Right Click?
[Roll Eyes]

If only I had a five button mouse....

EvB, I have a Logitech optical scroll mouse with a middle button but could not for the life of me set the key combos you specified....Please could you explain how?

Many thanks.

-Jacques.

Jacques-

On a MAC:

-System Preferences (Blue Apple)

-Other, Logitech Control Center (At bottom)

-Configure

-etc.

Personally, as an ex-AutoCAD user, initially I wished for the same scrollwheel functions as AutoCAD, but have become quite used to the z, x, c, v, option(alt), and space keystrokes to navigate, (Architect Workspace).

In the end, learning and using the VectorWorks interface rather than emulating another program is the only way.

But if the Zoom/Pan scrollwheel functionality of AutoCAD were implemented in VectorWorks, I would bee pleased. [Cool]

Nicholas

"scrolling is up and down, Shift/scrolling is side to side, and Option/ scrolling is in and out, and I've set the scroll button to be Enter."

I only knew the first one - just shows what you can pick up from checking these forums.

Thank you - from across the Tasman.

--------------------

David W

17" iMac, OS10.2.9, VWA

Thanks for that info jan.

Personally I think Shift/Scroll for panning is more useful as it releases the scroll button for another operation, but if the scroll button was set to be the space bar (I *think* this can be done on my Logitech and Wacom mice) the ACAD behavior would be achieved (I think?)

cheers,

N.

Nicholas:

In AutoCad 2004 you can zoom in and out by spinning the mouse wheel, and pan by pressing the wheel down and holding it while moving the mouse.

And all of that can be done in the middle of another task, such as drawing a line. That's especially important in AutoCad, which still doesn't have the pan-by-dragging feature that VectorWorks has had for many years.

HEY SCROLL WHEEL LOVERS!

I thought I'd let you know that we may be getting the message through to NNA after all....they are promising to add this feature to a future release.

Keep up the pressure....it might appear in 11.1 rather than 12!

Email copied below:

Chris,

this wish is requested on a regular basis. We'll eventually make this a preference, as you suggested, in a future release of Vectorworks.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Gunther

Quality Assurance

Nemetschek, N.A.

On Tuesday, April 27, 2004, Bugsubmit wrote:

>FW: Wish List Item

> ----------

>From: Chris Dixon

>Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:05:03 +0100

>To:

>Subject: Wish List Item

>

>

> VW11

>

> Please can you support scroll-wheel panning and zooming in the

>same way as AutoCAD/ArchiCAD. Scroll wheel to zoom in and out;

>pressed wheel and mouse-drag to pan. This can be a user option

>to cater for those who prefer the current method.

>

> With the current method, having to use both hands to zoom

>(using ALT) is unproductive and can lead to mistakes when

>zooming mid-command while also using ALT as a command modifier

>(e.g. to copy). Similarly, having to use the space bar and

>mouse to pan requires both hands...for no good reason.

>

> Regards

>

>

>Chris Dixon

>Architect

Thank you Chris for the update on this and NNA - please sooner than later. This might seem like a minor thing but I suspect that for those moving from Autocad or contemplating a move or working in both environments, this would be a major consideration - on a level with viewports. You might question this considering I'm sure the major programming effort that went into viewports, but this is a user interface consideration that is used hundreds of times a day. I think you will be surprised at how this enhancement will impact acceptance of Vectorworks.

Guest -dom-

I agree with you

I am teaching VecorWorks for about 200 Person per Year. Many of them changed from other Programs or had some Lessons AC, Archicad etc. in schools. They are very flexible and like (or is it Love?) VW. But all agree with the button things. Also after drawing with VectorWorks after 3 Years.

1. Viewports (VW 11 :-)

2. Scrolling without any Keys (panning is excellent in VW)

3. Intelligent Cursor (in VectorWork visuality is a little antiquated )

There are other Points but you can't take them all serious. But if scrolling without keys is not a very costly thing: The sooner the better! [smile]

I am happy to see NNA is on the right way to becom winner with distance.

good work

[Wink]

sorry about the bad english.