2 small wishes

BG

Question

7 answers to this question

BG, you can adjust the line spacing of text to anything you like (it's in TEXT>SPACING>OTHER). The space between the characters themselves is an integral part of the font itself and so cannot (to my knowledge) be adjusted.

To "set" the height of a worksheet row just select the whole line and then change the FONT SIZE until you get the height you want. You can do this with nothing in the cells. You may need to experiment a bit, but you can probably make it work...

Peter Cipes, PBD

Mac OS 10.3.2 VWIS 10.5.1

'The space between the characters themselves is an integral part of the font itself and so cannot (to my knowledge) be adjusted.'

It can be adjusted in a number of programs - like Illustrator - but it is not a feature I would look for in a CAD program. I must say, however, that VW does the job rather poorly - with character spacing that is noticeable displeasing to the eye. I do wish, that VW would fix this for the next version.

quote:

Originally posted by Kaare Baekgaard:

I must say, however, that VW does the job rather poorly - with character spacing that is noticeable displeasing to the eye.

I don't understand this. In programs which don't have character spacing adjustment, isn't the character spacing the same in one program as in another? That's the way it looks to me, at least on Windows machines. VectorWorks doesn't seem to have any effect on character spacing.

Do you know you can convert text to polylines and move the individual characters? Of course, that would only be practical for occaisional use.

If it's for general use, have you considered making an altered version of whatever font you use? I altered the Stylus font to get rid of that bizarre space in front of the digit "1", and then again to decrease the standard line spacing. And if I remember correctly, at least one of the popular shareware font editing programs allows adjustment of the character spacing for a whole font with one command.

I dont know if this is a Mac only problem. But if I use VW to create presentation pages and type in a lot of text, it looks quite horrible on the printout. If I use Quark, Illustrator - or even Powerpoint for the same task, the text of the printout looks nice.

>I don't understand this. In programs which don't have character spacing adjustment, isn't the character spacing the same in one program as in another? That's the way it looks to me, at least on Windows machines. VectorWorks doesn't seem to have any effect on character spacing.

My 2 cents: while I don't expect VW to be PageMaker or Fontgrapher, I would like to see better text integration.

1) Better formatted text (and import from Word) for specifications, etc.

2) Character mods like kerning and sub/super script. Mostly for that classic "architectural lettering" look of overextended kerning. Also to allow basic signage design within VW and well integrated into the Working Drawings.

I just tried what you're describing. I printed a full sheet of text from Microsoft Word (in Windows 2000), then pasted the text into VectorWorks and set it to the same font and point size and printed it again.

The character spacing of the two two print-outs looks the same to me, but when held up to the light in register I can measure a 4 percent increase in width, over a full line. I have no way of measuring the character sizes accurately enough to know whether the increase appears there also, but visually it looks like the spacing is proportionally the same, so I assume that VectorWorks made the characters 4 percent larger.

The line spacing does look slightly different, though I didn't notice it at first, and in fact I measured a 6 percent increase in height (over the whole page) for the VectorWorks version.