Opening older version files from a CD

PeterT

Question

I wish I could open an older VectorWorks file from a CD to view it, without having to copy it to my local disk, and then open it from there, and then trash it after viewing.

I am well aware that I cannot write to a CD, but I should be able to open a file to view it, or to make changes and save it to a different location.

Every other application I work with allows this, but VectorWorks gives you the "No Write permission, Attempt to Open File-FSOPEN" message, the same message you get if you try to open a file that is already open by another user.

I know VectorWorks does this with older version files because it tries to create a "new file with a new name" and cannot write the new file to the CD, but there has to be some way around this.

Why should the file be trying to write to the CD before you even save the file? If VectorWorks needs to create a temporary file in the new version in order to view it, it ought to at least give you the option of creating the file on the local disk so you can close it with or without saving any changes.

We archive all our files to CD eventually, and have to deal with this annoyance every time we want to look at one of these older files.

1 answer to this question

This also bugs me

Often it may be a case of just wanting to copy something from an old drawing to use in a new one.

Having to make a copy on your hard drive is a pain.

Even worse if you are 'browsing' to find what you want becaiuse yor memory is a bit hazy about exactly where it is.