Position attribute not updating

Swift

I have had a recurring issue where I move lights from their original position to a new position, and even after refreshing instruments the information in their position attribute doesn't update. The only way I have been able to change this information is to select the lights and manually change the information, whether through find & modify or the object info window. For a few lights this is OK, but when the rig gets up to 300-400 lights it can get very dull.

Is this an error in the software, or am I doing something wrong?

quote:

Originally posted by Swift:
I have had a recurring issue where I move lights from their original position to a new position, ...Is this an error in the software, or am I doing something wrong?

This is a design "flaw" in SpotLight. The intention was that it only figured out where it was on insertion so that if you accidentally nudged a light off of a pipe it didn't loose its position information.

Given some of the speed issues people have with SpotLight I'm not sure how big a hit it will be for the instrument to try to calculate where it is everytime you change an attribute.

What it should do is on first insertion pick up the lighting position and height. From then on it should check to see what it is inserted on. If it isn't inserted on something it should stay where it is and keep the current info. If it is on a new position it should pick up the new position name and position height and fix itself. This is on the wish list.

HTH

Let me 1st say I love the speed improvements in 9.5.

All I would really like to have added to the software would be the ability of the POSITION attribute to update when REFRESH INSTRUMENTS is selected from the Spotlight menu. I don't think it would be required for a lamp to constantly be updating itself every time it was moved. Maybe that wouldn't slow the application down too much.

Otherwise, thanks for letting me know.

Kevin,

If it only resets it's position during refresh it shouldn't be too much of a problem. refresh is the only function that still has a speed problem, so if it remains slow to allow for the - find position - solution I, for one, would be content to sit out the refresh to have the instrumnet find what position it is on and not have to go throught the find and modify process everytime I move instruments.

Jim

quote:

Originally posted by jtallen:
Kevin,If it only resets it's position during refresh it shouldn't be too much of a problem. refresh is the only function that still has a speed problem, so if it remains slow to allow for the - find position - solution I, for one, would be content to sit out the refresh to have the instrumnet find what position it is on and not have to go throught the find and modify process everytime I move instruments.Jim

I'll add this to the wishlist. I'll look at what kind of performance hit this will be. Ideally the instrument will just be able to figure itself out when moved. If this is a big hit then the refresh instruments is a great place to put the functionality. Thanks.