Complicated Roofs

Posted (edited)

Most of our residential roofs are way too complicated to use the VW roof tools. I use to use a combination of the Create Roof tool and the Roof Face tool but ultimately I ended up creating my own library of roof faces out of solids, I have all my different pitches, with the different cuts for brick or siding, overhang, and also the soffit already drawn in. Once I set my wall heights I just grab my roof faces and set them on the top plate. I then just push pull all of my intersections and trim off the overlaps with a combination of the Stitch & Trim tool and the Split tool. This has been by far the easiest and fastest workflow we've found for complicated roofs. After I do my intersections and trim the excess, I join my faces together with the Add Solids tool to get a beautiful roof. The problem is when I have to make a change, once my entire roof is added together as a single solid I can't get it broke back apart. Ungrouping, editing solid, or editing features does crazy stuff. It'll throw random solids out in random spots but will not break the solid apart. I can use the Split tool sometimes to break a section apart but this only works about 1/2 the time and will leave solids that aren't even touching act like they're added together. Once the solid addition is too complicated, I'm assuming, the Push/Pull tool also stops working.

If anybody understands how solid additions work better than I do to where I can understand the behaviour better to figure out a way around these issues I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I would like to hear any other workflows, tips, or tricks from any of you who also draw complicated roofs.  

Edited by KWiley
Posted (edited)

Thats an interesting approach, sounds like your roofs are quite complicated. Do you have screenshots/examples to share?
Personally I use the roof face tool, and yes start off with the roof object. But when there are complicated junctions, thats when I resort to the roof face.

We stick with the roof/roof face tool as they have components built in that feed into worksheets we use for coverage calcs etc.

image.thumb.png.d6f76ec607f8aa3a4cd67ace56393c17.png

image.thumb.png.2c229b55c22fcb9ca1fa2dbe9fdadb51.png

Edited by twk
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

@twk I used Roof Faces a lot initially but after I noticed I was push/pulling and cutting and trimming them so much to make things work that we finally just ended up creating our own rafter profiles to save time. Roof faces will work for a lot but I kept running into limitations with bells and hips, also it was hard to get corners to match up right with 2 different pitches. I guess it helps that we don't use any roof data to create worksheets though. 

These are screenshots of my most recent project and also some of my rafter profiles. (The elevation pic is actually a 18/12 above the garage with a 12/12 bell, in the middle of making some changes at the moment.)

Screenshot (51).png

Screenshot (52).png

Screenshot (53).png

Edited by KWiley
  • Like 1

Nice model! FWIW, these would be easily achievable with roof faces. If you're trying to get roof faces with different pitches to match, you could use the connect/combine tool to get the hip angle (in plan), then you'd use that to make up the roof structure.

In regards to your initial question with solids modelling, I have also noticed solids going awry after many operations, as I'm guessing theres some sort of limitation to recording the number of operations for solids modelling (add, subtract, intersect, etc).

I'll have a crack at your roof structure above when I get some free time, to see if I can replicate that model with roof faces.

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

My attempt below (sped up x2) about 30mins sped up to 12mins.

- Started by sketching out overhang widths, then hip lines

- Was a bit confused by profile ratios but i think i got it to be as close to yours as I've decipher (rise/run, 18/12, etc). But wasn't sure what the eaves are doing, I believe they're changing pitch to match other roof of differnet pitch

- Got stuck at right side where ridge heights differ 😂

If you could send through your model, I could maybe have a better understanding of the roof changes.

I'm thinking they 'could' be all achieved by using roof faces, but not holding my breath.

- Hopefully you can see in my screengrab that the connect/combine tool is quite apt and easily used once you get the hang of it.

image.thumb.png.af8de26f7004b80b6425ff577f3749c9.png

video is about 12mins! you can skip through.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ehIEb3QhnjsxZ01W6gAXnqyebCvZ7rXB/view?usp=sharing

Edited by twk
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, twk said:

My attempt below.....

Good illustration of the process @twk.

There are a few subtle pitch changes at the eaves line on @KWiley 's elevation pic. But not shown as a pitch change on the roof layout plan - Possibly needs to be finalised?

Screenshot2024-05-22at12_05_39.png.cce56173dc5a90ece78289f2bac41ac8.png

However - still easily accomplished with Roof Faces ( don't let the client change wall positions 😂 )

@twk You're obviously way more efficient with roof faces than we are, we're still in the process of switching over to VW, I'm the only one in the office using it full time so we are all still fairly new to everything. Your video has inspired me to dive back into Roof Faces now that I see how you're using it. I always had a problem with the connect/combine tool but getting to watch the way you work has def opened my eyes to the possibilities. As I said before, the elevation and the actual roof plan were different as I'm in the process of changes and I see that you caught the eave mistake on the garage corner. I'm very impressed and I appreciate you taking the time to make a video, I'm about to see what I can do with roof faces now following your lead. Can you post the file from the video? 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

@twk So after trying to draw this roof again with roof faces I remember some of the issues we were running into. Everything seems to work seamlessly as long as you have a vertical cut, but all that changes when you use a square cut, which we use for almost every house. If I remember right all of our issues revolved around this.

Screenshot(54).thumb.png.3c4ec601f08c106f634339437cb5d28f.pngScreenshot(55).thumb.png.72ccecb1e61c779d06fb3e09b3e61c63.png

Edited by KWiley

I was actually able to make this work with the bell but is there any way to change the angle of the eave cut? This house is a perfect example of having 12/12 and 18/12 slopes but I would need all of the eave cuts to be at a 12/12.

1 hour ago, KWiley said:

I was actually able to make this work with the bell but is there any way to change the angle of the eave cut? This house is a perfect example of having 12/12 and 18/12 slopes but I would need all of the eave cuts to be at a 12/12.

Hmm, not following, you mean the square edge? Screenshots please

Mind posting or DM'ing your model so far?