Wheel Mouse functions

kingram

Question

6 answers to this question

Guest -dom-

Yes. I whish too.

I think experienced users mostly use pan tool (boomerang mode) and mouse wheel (Combined with ctrl) for navigation. In very big plans sometimes ctrl-1 or ctr-2 or the zoom in tool is the right choice (if your pc is not fast enough).

By navigation in the plan vw users therefore pressing ctrl, turning the wheele, pressing space, pressing left mouse button successively fast in better coordination than any military pilot or piano player.

My whish

boomerang (pan tool): additionally with mouse wheel button

zooming: with mouse wheel withoutany key.

Ok, ok, some mouse drivers you can configurate and assign some keys on the additionally mouse buttons. But i whish ist for all users,particularly for beginners.

I know many people who switched from autocad to vw. But there could be more with this two litte emprovements javascript:void(0). Maybe it's a big technical problem i don't know, but thousands of existing and new users would be pleased.

Is anyone out there who ist against mouse wheel botton (boomerang) and scroll wheel (zooming)without additional keys?

I don't have anything against the mouse functions you described, but I think they're a very low priority.

There's already an excellent panning and zooming system, at least for people with two hands (what are you guys doing with your other hand while you draw, anyway?). There are plenty of things about VectorWorks that don't work nearly as well as panning and zooming, and they should get the attention first.

By the way, Dom, in your summary you forgot to mention:

--pan by dragging off the screen

--zoom in and out by double-tapping the Zoom tool keys

--move up, down, left, or right by tapping the arrow keys

These are terrific resources that have been available forever and AutoCad still doesn't have them.

quote:

Originally posted by jan15:

There's already an excellent panning and zooming system, at least for people with two hands (what are you guys doing with your other hand while you draw, anyway?)..

Use the right hand for mousework, and the left for keystrokes. The arrow keys are out of the way on the right...And the command + 1&2 keys are a hand stretch away. This all slows up the design process.

Is it not possible to re-assign the spacebar & left mouse click to the middle button?

My thoughts...It's not only AutoCAD that has them, ArchiCAD has these features and so does Microstation to some degree.

Jacques: I sympathize. The standard computer keyboard layout is inconvenient for CAD work in any program... unless you mouse with your left hand, in which case all the problems go away and the keyboard layout suddenly becomes ideal, with the much-needed numeric keypad very convenient to the right hand for fast data entry. Using a mouse requires the same dexterity as erasing a chalk-board, but somehow most people don't think they can manage it.

Have you considered a programmable mouse? My Microsoft Intellimouse Optical has 5 buttons, any one of which can be assigned the meanings you asked about, of Left-click or Space-bar, or any other key.

I don't understand what you mean about Cmd-1 and Cmd-2 key combinations. I agree with you that the hand stretch would be terrible. I personally never use any combination keys, except for the Shift key to type capital letters. I map my 24 most commonly used commands to my Focus keyboard's 24 function keys. But what do Cmd 1 & 2 have to do with panning and zooming?

The Apple key + 1 or Apple key + 2 zooms in and out.

I have a Logitech 3 buttom scroll wheel optical mouse, but unfortunately the software only allows me to assign certain key combos, and none of them include the spacebar... [Confused]

Anyway, I'm sure NNA will include this feature some day, if not in the near future.

-Jacques.