Sign in to follow this  
krw

OFFSET TOOL

Question

It would be nice if there were an option to delete orginal object when you offset a line/polygon. I am drawing a line around a wall and then offsetting it to show a watertable that is below where the wall is cut. So I don't need the original line one the offset is complete.

5 answers to this question

moving it would be fine if it were just one line, but I am drawing around the entire perimeter of a building. and is is not a continuous line because of doors, etc.

Another wish for the offset tool:

When I offset a polygon object where one or more vertexes are fillet or spline points, the curves of the resulting object are changed into polygons. I wish they remained curves. If a fillet should become "illegal" in the process, I wish it would simply be changed into a corner vertex point.

To resolve the initial wish, an NNA engineer might simply add a tick box in the offset by distance dialogue which would allow the user to decide whether to merely "offset by distance" or "duplicate and offset by distance"

I know I would find this quite useful.

krw:

The quick way to do the specific thing you were talking about is to draw a polyline around the perimeter, clicking once at each corner in succession. Then offset that polyline and delete the original of it.