Delete Duplicate Lines

L+K

Question

11 answers to this question

There is a thirtd party solution availabler which will do this - Optimise Drawing from VectorBits (30 Euros) http://www.vectorbits.com/

It has options to:

- Delete duplicate objects

- Purge overlapped objects

- Delete objects smaller than... (user specified size)

It is a very useful tool. Its other options are to:

- Convert 3D polygons to 2D polygons (handy for imported DWG drawings)

- Purge polygons, polylines and 3D polygons

- Simplify polys (user selected tolerance)

- Compose lines, polygons and arcs

- Delete 2D and 3D loci

I'd agree this needs to be in, and is long overdue. I deal with a lot of received OS and Topographical data and there are always hidden duplicate lines lurking around, which always through a spanner into the works when you try and compose polygons.

[ 02-20-2006, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: kadayi ]

Discipline .. discipline ... CAD is programming NOT drawing ... honestly ...

one should strive to avoid unrecognizable duplicates & artifacts ...

If you're not careful using a 3rd party script ( even one as expertly written as 'Optimize' ) to clean-up the bogus code may be similar to asking a well-intentioned stranger to clean up your harddrive ; )

Every object & element & iteration should be the result of a knowable set of policies & procedures. In my view the best 'house keeping protocol' is 'Save As' a newer version number after each editing of 'undesireables' is completed. Then when the project is completed archive or delete all the older 'paper-trail' versions.

EJ,

Apart from your frequent assertion that Computer Assisted Drafting (CAD) is not drafting but "programming"; -which I would cheerfully refute ;-) .....in another thread perhaps.

You are on a Mac and Option-click will duplicate an object. On Windows it's Ctrl-click, and the adjacency of the Ctrl and Shift keys frequently results in unwanted objects being inadvertantly being created when aiming for the Shift key and missing. Yes; one should strive to avoid things one doesn't want, but the reality of the ergonomics situation is that -on Windows especially, it's all too easy to do.

That being said, the separate advice on the issue of houskeeping is sound, and what I tell the students to do.

cheers

N.

Has something like this been implemented in Vectorworks yet? Using 2018 and just trying to remove overlapping lines to calculate grout footage.... seems pretty hard without an automated command. I'm not a math whiz, and the shape of the surface is weird.