Label Legend Manager!!!

I am done with this thing!!! I have had so many problems with this one aspect of vectorworks.

1. the entire Bold/Underline thing. I have read about this from many people and xperienced it myself. I hope that the latest patch that was just released has fixed this problem.

2. the Placement of text in the Label Setup. I found that I could insert the Symbol that the Label Legend was for to better place the text. Well this works only about 5% of the time. Recently I have been trying to Nudge text around only to see it move to the other side of the symbol in a single bound. I guess that I am a little confused as to how the placement of text is determined. I was under the impression that the Symbol has a "origin" and the text is placed in reference to that "origin" on the plot.

You tell me. Am I nuts or what!!!

ERIC

I haven't seen the problem. After placing text in position in the Label Legend Manager it appears there on the plot. You can go back and adjust positioning in the label legend then refresh the instruments to reposition the text. I have to do this when setting up for instruments that are facing right and left. I like the color, purpose above the instrument and channel below, so I can place them at accurate spacing. It is a bit tricky to get the placement right but once they are right they don't move on me.

The "tricky" part is what I am talking about!!! I am currently trying to set the Color/Channel/Unit Number of a Fixture inside a PAR 64. I have nudged myself to death!!! A nudge hear and a nudge there. The labels will not end up in the center of the light!! They end up on the edges. My BIG question is what is the reference point in the LABEL LEGEND MANAGER. Is it the center of the unit???

quote:

Originally posted by enorris001:
The "tricky" part is what I am talking about!!! I am currently trying to set the Color/Channel/Unit Number of a Fixture inside a PAR 64. I have nudged myself to death!!! A nudge hear and a nudge there. The labels will not end up in the center of the light!! They end up on the edges. My BIG question is what is the reference point in the LABEL LEGEND MANAGER. Is it the center of the unit???

There are three reference points for the labels. It is based on the dummy instrument found inside the legend definition area. It is definately on the wishlist to allow this dummy fixture to be replaced with a user defined symbol for easier layout. Things that are placed near the origin of this instrument will be placed at the same location in reference to the origin of the symbol you are using. For labels placed near the front of the fixture they are referenced to the front of the fixuture. (likewise at the rear) This is what allows SpotLight to scale the label legend to fit instruments of different sizes and to (although there may be much dissention on this next point) intelligently rescale the legend to fit your instrument.

You might want to check to see if you have grid snap turned on. It may be that it is on and snapping on 6" or 12" centers. This would account for the jumping around behaviour you are seeing.