Identify Dimension Start

PeterT

Question

It would be a huge help if you could identify the starting or ending point of a dimension string by looking at it.

This could be similar to the little arrow that was added wall object to identify the starting end, or the locus that was added to the text block object to identify the alignment of the text.

It is always frustrating turning on or off dimension witnesses when you don't know which is the starting end of the dimension, it is basically trial and error.

Also, now that you are displaying the dimension value in the Object Info Palette as an editable field (Cheers to the VectorWorks team for implementing this feature), it would be good to know when you change a dimension value in the editable field, which end of the dimension string will change.

4 answers to this question

If you are referring to "Leader" and "Trailer" values, the "leader" value enters text before the dim text string and "Trailer" enters the text after the dimension text string.

If you have "Show Dim Value" unchecked, you can type everything in either Leader or Trailer since there is nothing in the dimension text string.

[ 01-19-2004, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Hi Katie,

Thanks for responding, but I don't think you understood my post.

If you have a dimension on your drawing, select the dimension, go to the object info palette, and go to the "Witness" pull-down menu.

If you select "Starting" from the pull down menu, which witness will remain? The one on the right, or the one on the left? Unless you remember how you drew the dimension you do not know.

Depending on which direction the dimension was drawn in, the "Starting" end may be the right, or it may be the left. 50/50 chance.

Now draw a wall. On the Info Palette, go to the "Caps" pull-down menu . If you choose "Start", how do you know which end of the wall the cap will be applied to?

You can look at the wall and know that the cap will be applied to the end of the wall that displays a small arrow, because that is the starting end.

Dimension objects are directional, just like wall objects, and their directions should be indicated on the selected object.

If you give me a menu choice of "Starting" or "Ending", shouldn't you also give me a visual cue as to which end is which?

I was referring to this section of your post:

"Also, now that you are displaying the dimension value in the Object Info Palette as an editable field (Cheers to the VectorWorks team for implementing this feature), it would be good to know when you change a dimension value in the editable field, which end of the dimension string will change. "

I assumed "dimension value in the editable field" was applicable to "Show Dim Value" and the Leader and Trailer editable text boxes below it.

Ah, I see what you were saying.

We use the "Leader" and "Trailer" fields all the time, and find them quite useful.

But these fields have been in the info palette since MC version 6. I was cheering the "Length" field which is new to VW version 10.

It is nice to be able to see the dimension length on the Info Palette, even when you are zoomed in to the end of a dimension and the actual dimension value is off screen. It is also nice to be able to change the physical dimension length if you have mis-snapped, but know the correct length.

The Info palette is getting better all the time. [smile]

Regards,

Peter