Assorted wishes

ekb

Question

Wishing for the following, unless I am overlooking something, a new user

1.Provide a way to identify which sheet is active ? something similar to classes and layers ?

A pop-up window with the active sheet listed? Bold font for the active sheet on the list of sheets?

2.Round and oval windows, Andersen and Marvin, or at least ?custom? ? there are none!

In round top and (future)round/oval windows, a way to do muntins?

3. On the mode bar which appears with the 3D selection tool and provides different buttons for some 3D views: add button for Top/Plan view, so that I do not have to do Control 5, but have that available at a click in the same bar, when switching views

Thank you.

10 answers to this question

To change views, you can use the number pad.

0 is top plan

5 is top

2 is front

6 is right side

4 is left side

8 is rear

1 is left iso

3 is right iso

7 is lower left iso

9 is lower right iso

Think of the number pad as a joystick or compass or something along those lines.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by ekb:

Wishing for the following, unless I am overlooking something, a new user

1.Provide a way to identify which sheet is active ? something similar to classes and layers ?

A pop-up window with the active sheet listed? Bold font for the active sheet on the list of sheets?

Sheets are not "active", they are really shortcuts for a set of commands (hide this layer, show this class, change to this view, etc.) Further changes after that made by you don't affect the sheet because it isn't an active thing. Thus there is nothing to indicate. Conceivably we could tag the last one used, however, until you perform some action that is incompatible with that sheet transition.

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Bell@NNA:

Conceivably we could tag the last one used, however, until you perform some action that is incompatible with that sheet transition.

I think this would be quite an improvement, especially when one is generating a large number of prints. Now one has to jot down notes manually and all too often, I print two sets of one sheet. With, say, 10 copies, it is 'slightly' irritating...

WHAT!!! I for one do not believe the majority of the "trade" users, architects/engineers should have to listen to the whining chronic users, who for some reason, foreign or domestic to produce mass output or a'cad seemless integration, copy/paste/work-alike-commands, to accomadate all possible meanings of what the word "IS" -is. IF this software has any backbone at all, IT will stand for what it is, a very fine path for creativivity and ignore petty input

Seems like a really good idea to me.

Maybe it be something similar to Illustrator styles?

something nice visual.

That the name of the last sheet called stays bold and maybe shown in the bottom bar (user pref's) then if you do something that moves you away from that sheet a plus sign is added (or similar(say a red strikethru maybe)) to the name.

This is interesting, and I think I must not understand the way other users use sheets. I always name sheets for which page it is 01, 02, 03, etc., and have a class named the same, and set the default active class to the class with the same name. When I want to see which sheet I am on I look at the active class. If you use the sheets pallette it will usually highlight the sheet you are in (this gets reset sometimes for what I assume are the reasons Andrew was talking about).

hey if anyone hasn't seen this by now, it's worth a look...

http://www.asktog.com/index.html

one of the orginal GUI designers for the mac and his comments on Mac os X.

Of most interest to us (the vectorworks crowd) would be his discussion of information density in user interfaces.

think about how we are using VW how much visual tracking of the screen you do to do simple tasks, sure there are loads of useful keyboard shortcuts, but most of the time you will still visually check settings before drawing.

This and other wishes for increase density of information in the VW interface, would seem to be things that will give increased comfort and productivity.

yes you can have the saved sheets palette open and it will highlight the last double clicked sheet, but think about how much screen real estate this palette takes up, even with a small set of drawings.