Mac Sonoma 14.4.1 vectorworks 2024 very slow in sheet space

dkleiva

Question

Hi

I just intstalled Vw 2024 on My Macbook Pro from 2021 with M1 Max 32GB. And it is very slow when I edit the work-sheets and viewport.

The spinning wheel appears whenever I do a change in the viewport or even move it on the paper. 

Has anyone know why this can be a problem? 

I had some problems with it being slow in the 2023 version, but not as bad as this.  But the file was created in the 2023 version and I imported files from Sketch up.

14 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

I just recently installed Sonoma 14.5 (2021 MBP 16" Max, 64GB) although I wasn't having some of the reported issues of VWA 2024 Update 4 and previous Sonoma OS.  However, I just installed Update 5 and it is now excruciatingly slow and laggy.  I only had two files open, and they weren't very large.  I can't even zoom in/out or pan, etc.  Anyone else have this new issue crop up?  Did your updates improve your previous performance issues?  I am not having issues with other apps or system.

EDITED UPDATE: 

I deleted the preferences files and reopened and of course it defaults to my MBP screen.  Works great! EXCEPT that as soon as I move the drawing window to one of my LG Ultrafine 5K screens, the lagginess returns.  Put it back onto my MBP, all good again.  Odd.  Any suggestions?  I will try and reboot, too.

Edited by spdygnzls
5 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

You could go back to VW2023. Or MacOS 14.3.

It appears to be an Apple problem. I am not certain why there has not been a 14.4.2 release to fix this. I believe that 14.5 is in Beta.   🤞

14.5 has no printing issues (to me, yet…), as I mentioned in another thread earlier

Thanks - I´ll guess I´ll go back to 2023 and wait for 14.5 to be released, as sonoma (14.4.1) is the latest release I can get. I had some problems with 2023 being slow as well, but it wasn´t as bad as 2024.

1 hour ago, dkleiva said:

Thanks - I´ll guess I´ll go back to 2023 and wait for 14.5 to be released, as sonoma (14.4.1) is the latest release I can get. I had some problems with 2023 being slow as well, but it wasn´t as bad as 2024.

Did you install 2024 update 4 already? I found some speed improvements there. In design layers, to be honest, but it might help for sheet layers as well!

13 hours ago, jbtroost said:

Did you install 2024 update 4 already? I found some speed improvements there. In design layers, to be honest, but it might help for sheet layers as well!

yes - I installed 2024 yesterday and it was really slow as well. I guess I installed the latest update. 

It seems like the problem might be the Sonoma - I am not quite sure when I updated my system, and I don´t work in vectorworks that often, so I haven´t really experienced these issues. I had some problems with caching graphics slowin the program down, but found some way to improve that.

But I started working in 2024 again just now - only on my laptop - not with an external display/extra screen, and it seems to be working better now - at least for a little while.