More Control over Object Snapping

Chris D

Question

I might be wrong but you don't seem to be able to specify which object snaps are on. E.g. have endpoints on, but not midpoints.

My main aim is to be able to turn the general 'object' snap off (which acts a bit like 'nearest' in AutoCAD), while still being able to snap to endpoints and intersections.

I belive this to be the main cause of the 'woolly' snapping that new users experience particularly when switching from AutoCAD.

3 answers to this question

When I worked in AutoCad, I wrote a lot of Lisp routines to help me control which Osnaps were on. It was important to be able to control that.

But in VectorWorks it's not important. I leave all the Constraints on all the time, and have no problem selecting points, and without all the zooming in and out that I used to do with AutoCad.

It's true that it takes a little getting used to. But that's not so much learning how VectorWorks does snapping as it is getting over the anxiety about snaps that you acquired from AutoCad.

Version 8 is especially good at snapping to constraints. Maybe they'll eventually get that terrific feel into a newer version.

I find it helps a lot to turn on these three features in "VectorWorks Preferences":

1. Smart Cursor Cues. (You get used to subliminally reading the cues as they flash on and off several times a second, and can easily select only the constraint you want. This is also enhanced by having a very sensitive optical mouse.)

2. Use sound. (This gives a soft click when you hit a corner or midpoint, so you know you're not just at some point along the object.)

3. Eight Selection Handles. (This allows you to drag a side of a rectangle from its center point.)

I don't think there's anything like that. You pick your constraint by moving the mouse slightly.

Perhaps you've got a version with defective snapping? Some people reported this back in March, though different versions were reported as being defective by different users. Your term "wooly snapping" would fit that problem. It's hard to see how normal VW snapping would be described that way. It's one thing the program does really well.

There's a discussion of that defective snapping problem at http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=002605

There was no resolution in that discussion, but the issue didn't come up again, so I assume that upgrading to a newer version corrected the problem.