Roof object smarter again

P Retondo

Question

The roof creation tool has gotten significantly dumber in the 10.5 version. We can no longer enter a slope in x:12 format, but have to do some trig to calculate an angle. Architects almost never think about roofing in terms other than x:12. More significantly, the object info palette does not allow us to change the slope or overhang of a roof (unless we ungroup the object and change each plane one at a time). Instead, we have to create a new one; whereas, insignificant info like the proportion of vertical to horizontal on a double-cut eave can be edited in the OIP. Is this tool a work in progress?

1 answer to this question

I and others have the same problem with the dialog box. NNA says they're working on the problem. Additionally, dormers are created such that the eave profile (edge mitre) defaults to vertical cut. None of the other options offered in regular roof creation are offered here. This would seem to be easy to provide and an otherwise obvious necessity. Are there any architects consulted in creating these programs? This may help with the oversights. Otherwise, let's call it Vectorworks Architect: Limited Edition because it definitely is limited(even for greenhorns such as myself). In the end though, I still consider VW 10.5 somewhat miraculous in its capabilites and it still offers the biggest bang for the buck. I sort of feel like the motorist on a highway under reconstruction...I'll tolerate some inconveniences in my anticipation of the completed project.