repeat last command

The Hamma

Question

7 answers to this question

Most functions you'd want to repeat are Tools, which repeat without pressing any button, and with a boomerang function to allow an alternate tool in between successive operations.

There are only a few pull-down menu Commands that it would make any sense to repeat -- Undo, Scale Objects, Join, and maybe one or two others.

Yes, it would be nice if those commands could be issued by a function key rather than by one of those Alt-key nuisances; not only for repeating the last command, but also for the more common need to issue two or three different commands repeatedly in combination with each other.

The good news is that you can do it with an add-on macro editor. The mystery is why VectorWorks doesn't have a built-in macro editor, which would allow letter keys to be used to issue commands, and would solve most of the custom needs expressed in this Wish List.

"The good news is that you can do it with an add-on macro editor. The mystery is why VectorWorks doesn't have a built-in macro editor, which would allow letter keys to be used to issue commands, and would solve most of the custom needs expressed in this Wish List."

Brilliant a Macro editor.

Is there one?

There are lots of macro editors for Windows OS. I use one called Macro Express ($40), though if I had known about it I would have gone for Keyboard Express ($25) instead. You can try them out for 30 days before deciding whether to buy.

http://www.macros.com/

http://www.keyboardexpress.com/

For the MacOS, there's Quickeys ($80)

http://www.startly.com/

Some people say there are macros built into MacOS, but I don't know. I heard the same thing when I was using a Mac, but at that time at least it certainly wasn't true.

A macro editor runs all the time in the background. While using VW or any other program, you can press the macro editor's hotkey, and everything you type after that is recorded until you press it again. Then a window pops up asking what key you want to use to play back the macro, and whether you want it to work in all programs or just this one.

So for example, if I want to use function key F2 to issue the Paste-In-Place command, I type Ctrl-Alt-Shift-X, Ctrl-Alt-V, Ctrl-Alt-Shift-X, then F2, then Enter. Whatever was on the clipboard got pasted into VW after the second keystroke. The MacroExpress options window opened after the third keystroke and closed after the fifth. From then on, any time I press F2 in VectorWorks, the contents of the clipboard are pasted into their original location.

But you have to learn a programming language in order to create scripts. And even after learning the language, it takes a lot of time to create a script.

Installing and learning to use a macro editor takes about half an hour, and creating a macro is just a matter of pressing the record button while drawing.

I find the trim tool to be one that should be repeated as well. Once you click away from your object, you have to start over.

I think these items as well as other wish list items like Duplicate Array w/ Z height would be far more beneficial to VW users rather than human figures. I can get POSER to do that.Give me practical tools I can use and go back and fix what's already there. I can do without the bells and whistles.