Kudos for realtime walkthrough

P Retondo

Question

I keep getting great feedback and positive reaction to the VW walkthrough tool using OpenGL rendering. Clients and other architects are greatly impressed, and it's the one thing that really stays with them when they look at VectorWorks. I just demonstrated this to an architect who was visiting our office yesterday, and he will probably buy the program on the strength of that feature. As far as I know, VW is the only CAD program that offers the realtime walkthrough. With ACAD and FormZ you have to generate an animation, which is not at all the same thing.

For the future of this tool, improvements in these directions would be desirable, and would put greater emphasis on an advantage VW currently has over competitors:

1. Faster! Less jumpy with large models.

2. Ability to shift sideways (or, put another and better way, to turn your head sideways while walking forward and back). This is extremely important, since it would make the kinetic experience even more realistic. I would implement this as a left and right arrow key that can be applied while the viewpoint is either in motion or stationary.

3. Ability to save a walkthrough path so that a rendered animation with shadows can be created from the path.

3 answers to this question