3D Reshape

Marc

Sometimes when I try to reshape in 3D I can only select one vertex, other times I can grab many.Why?

Also is there a discription/definition of the difference between curve, solid, and surface; and what each of these "things" is able to do, what there limitations are.Thanks M

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

in the 3D reshape tool, you can select more than two vertices in two ways - (a)by drawing a marquee around the vertices you want to select (b)by shift select. Otherwise you are selecting just one vertex by clicking on it. Please let me know which one you are using.

Your other quation is very broad. Curves, surface, solids are all building blocks for making shapes in the real world. You can draw a NURBS curve, reshape it, edit its degree, change coordinates and weight of control vertices etc to change its shape. You can also split, trim, extend, combine these curves together. The curves are used as basic building blocks to create surfaces. For example, you can use the curves as profile and path of an extrude along path, or you can create surface from curves, or loft thru curves.

The NURBS surfaces like curves can be reshaped by 3D reshape tool, and edited thru OI Palette in terms of degree (in two directions), weights etc. Surfaces can be used as the final shape that you want or several surfaces can be added together to create a solid. You can trim surfaces using split tool or project and trim tool. You can create a solid out of surfaces using stitch and trim surfaces command or Add Solids command. But more often than not surfaces are open - they do not enclose a volume.

And that's why you need solids.

• 2 years later...

quote:

Originally posted by BiplabNNA:

in the 3D reshape tool, you can select more than two vertices in two ways - (a)by drawing a marquee around the vertices you want to select (b)by shift select. Otherwise you are selecting just one vertex by clicking on it. Please let me know which one you are using.

I've tried this in VW 11.0.1 and I simply can't do it !!

I want all 4 top vertices in a cube at different heights.

Please help.

Ramon

OPTION A

- Convert your cube to a mesh (Model Menu)

- In the OIP make sure the Move button is set to Vertex Only

- Use the Edit arrows to cycle through the vertices one by one.

- Modify the Z heights of the required vertices to what you want (or the X or Y depending on which cube face you are trying to modify.

OPTION B

- Create a cutting object at the required inclination. (you may need to change the Working Plane to do this)

- Solid Subtract this from your original Cube.

OPTION C

- Transfer your cube to a new blank drawing

- Draw a cutting guide line (rotate cube as necessary first)

- Split cube using Trim by Line Tool (3rd mode)

- Paste modified cube back into original drawing (rotate back as necessary first)

You could also use Cut 3D section to do the cutting and paste the modified cube from the new layer created back into the original drawing.

[ 01-23-2005, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

• 3 weeks later...

I have had success converting objects to NURBS and then utilizing the Extend NURBS tool in the Model menu. Its pretty slick too since all you have to do is click/select the vertice point which blinks red and then type the dimension and as well you have the option of changing the direction of the vertice too which is also pretty slick. Then after that if a NURBS object isn't what you want or need you can in fact change the model back to its original form.