VW Designer?

Kaare Baekgaard

Question

As an industrial designer, Vectorworks is not really the obvious choice. But I have stuck with Vectorworks / MiniCad since version 2.0, because it is so easy to use. However, I do miss the advanced modelling features that other 3D programs offer. The 3D powertools improved this situation considerably, but not profoundly.

I resently purchased Cinema 4D from Maxon with Vectorworks exchange, in order to improve my rendering capabilities, and I have since then trained in this program in order to learn it.

No doubt this program is extremely advanced, but the interface is strangely unfamiliar, and I don't really care for it.

But the modelling features of Cinema 4D are so much more advanced, that it fills me with a sense of loss, when I return to the somewhat inadequate and unstable 3D powertools of Vectorworks.

Especially the concept of "hypernurbs" and "weighting" impressed me.

Now ? with the new joint ownership of Nemetchek & Maxon, I imagine that one of the benefits could be the transfer of technology.

Is this in the plans for the future development of Vectorworks?

Just as you have made special editions of Vectorworks (Spotlight - Architect - etc) I would greatly appreciate an edition for designers. The core feature of such a package should be improved modelling capabilities.

Is this a dream that could become reality?

1 answer to this question

I definately agree. This should be one of the goals for VW. If VW is weak on the modeling and rendering sectors, then technology should be shared to improve its weak points. I would think it would be easier to do, seeing that the technology does exist under the same "umbrella".

Please guys, make some sort of deal with Maxon to do this. I'm begging you guys cause I can see VW losing ground with others in the same class. The technology is there to go on top of the class so why not use it.

Thanks.

Shaun