moving by click-click not click-drag

thecadman

Question

10 answers to this question

um try switch the click-drag drawing preference off in vectorworks peferences.

then instead of starting a drawing operation by clicking the mouse down , and ending by letting it up.

you click the mouse at each end of the operation. and therefore can take your hand fully away from the mouse in the middle of drawing or moving and object.

hope that explains it.

try it and see if that's what you're looking for.

(wish list item should more be that click drag drawing is turned off as default. does anybody use it by preference)

"try switch the click-drag drawing preference off in vectorworks peferences"

This was my first thought on reading this post. But, in click-click mode VectorWorks still uses a drag to move objects - i.e., to drag an object, click on it, move the mouse, then release to stop the move. This is unlike creating a line, for example, where to create a line in click-click mode I invoke the line-creation tool, click the start point, release the mouse, then click the end point. If moving an object were not a click-and-drag operation, we'd go crazy because every time an object was selected the next click on the drawing would move the selection (if we hadn't first unselected it).

Like many of the suggestions in this discussion area, the person posting this item desires an AutoCAD behavior. The request is not a mouse-behavior request. It is really asking for a different mode for the move command - again, similar to AutoCAD where two clicks create a vector according to which the object is moved. Click-click moving requires first invoking a command to avoid the problem described above.

[ 04-30-2003, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

There is a way to make that AutoCad-like "relative move":

1. place a locus at the move-from point

2. while that locus is still selected, shift-select the object(s) to be moved

3. grab the locus and drag it to the move-to point

4. click on blank space to de-select all

5. select and delete the locus

I used that workaround a lot when I first started working in MiniCad, but it's too cumbersome to use very often, and so I got used to other ways of working so that it became unnecessary.

Of all the many requests I've read in this forum for AutoCad features, this proposed Relative Move tool is the only one I've seen that I would probably use occaisionally if it were available.

quote:

Originally posted by jan15:

Of all the many requests I've read in this forum for AutoCad features, this proposed Relative Move tool is the only one I've seen that I would probably use occaisionally if it were available.

The relative move/copy etc. command is the one (amongst many) that I missed from AC (infact I still do).

What needs to be added is the rightclick/enter key to end selection of objects so that the first relative move point can be selected. That would also prevent the accidental deselection of the selected objects & selection of another object when selecting the move point where they overlap.

I hope i explained myself clearly enough.

This is not exactly what is being discussed, but I guess few people know that if you enter boomerang mode pan (using the space bar) you can then release the mouse button and continue to move an object... it becomes a sort of click-click moving (but it must have an on-object first-click point).

1. Put the mouse over an object you want to move.

2. Press and hold the mouse button.

3. Press and hold the space bar

4. Release the mouse button

5. Release the space bar

6. Move the mouse (it will cause the object to move)

7. Click to put down the object.

But back to the off-object moving thing, I sometimes use Jan15's locus method and I'd like to reinforce Andrew Bell's recomendation on visiting VectorDepot.com

[ 05-11-2003, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Alexandre B A Villares ]

quote:

What needs to be added is the rightclick/enter key to end selection of objects...

No! That would be a disaster.

In AutoCad, you need that, because you're always selecting a long list of objects, one by one.

But in VectorWorks, you arrange related objects into Layers and Groups, so selection is much easier, and it's rare to have to use more than a few picks or selection boxes. Having to hit the Enter key every time you select something would be a terrible drag on speed and the easy feel of the program.