Automated class creation and assignment - ugh!

P Retondo

Question

Could NNA please consider whether anything is gained by having tools automatically assign classes, and automatically create new classes, when objects are created? I'm thinking about NURBS curve and surface extraction, whereby an extracted curve is assigned the class "RedCurves" when created. This causes it to shortly disappear from the screen since "RedCurves", as a new class created by the tool, is not visible in any view or sheet previously established by the user. I have to immediately reassign these objects to the "None" class so I can work with them, and frequently have to change the default class to "RedCurves" to see them - then I forget to change the default class back to "None" and wind up with a bunch of invisible objects that I then have to seek out and convert to the appropriate visible class.

All of this for what? The imagined benefit to a user is definitely not worth the cost. If a user wants NURBS curves placed in a special class, please leave up to the individual! This same comment goes for symbols that assign classes like "Appliance", or whatever. With window and door PIOs, we at least have some control over what classes are assigned to objects.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet