Eyedropper Tool

Dan Kessler

Question

I typically have an object's attributes set to use a class's attributes. If I use the eydropper tool with the "Pick up sets default" button checked and click on on of these objects, the defaults are not set to use the class's. The defaults are set to the same pen color, fill color linestyle, etc. as the object, just not set to use the class's.

This is frustrating to me if I want to later tweak a class's attributes. Some objects update, some don't.

I think the option to "Pick up sets default" should recognize if an object's attributes are set to use class's.

10 answers to this question

Dan, this is a good idea and has been discussed before. Obviously, the way things are now, the only way to do what you ask is to change an object's attributes by changing its class in the OI palette, which also works fine (and might actually be accomplished with the same, or fewer, mouse clicks).

Peter

In addition to just changing an object's class and layer, I'd really like to use the eyedropper tool to set the current class and layer to that of an object. With the "pick up sets default" option, I can do this, but I now have the problem previously mentioned...The current attributes aren't set to use the class's anymore.

I agree that color and thickness attributes transferred by the eyedropper should be "Class" (if that is the source's attribute), rather than just the current class color or thickness for that class. That seems more natural to me.

But I strongly disagree about eyedropping layer. It's important to be able to eyedrop color and thickness without changing an object's layer. If there is an eyedropper that transfers Layer assignment, it should be a separate tool. In fact, I think someone has posted a script for a tool like that at Vector Depot.

I hear your pain.

I am currently writting an eyedropper tool that solves some issues like : if it follows class than follow class and if not, follow what ever the referenced object's attribute's are.

i'm still fixing its versatility. But it works great so far for most tasks.

I will post on VectorDepot soon. but feel free to send me a message requesting the plug-in I've worked on it so far.

I tried the eyedropper tool at VectorBits, but it doesn't seem to be much different that the standard one. It adds some improvement for text, but I still can't "aquire" the attributes that are set to "use class's". (the little hooked arrow symbol).

Katerina, I'd love to see what you're working on.

We must not be talking about the same thing. The VectorBits eyedropper doesn't set all the attributes to "the little hooked arrow", no matter what settings I use in its preferences. For some reason, the fill, color, and arrow heads are properly set to use the class's, but the pen style and thickness attributes are not.

FWIW, Katerina just emailed me her "match attributes" tool, and it works great! It does what the eyedropper tool should do.