Setting Tool Prefs

MullinRJ

Question

I would like to see first tool mode position be the tool default, and I would like to have the ability to set the order of the modes, even to exclude a mode I never use. I wouldn't mind if I had to use the Workspace Editor to set it up, but if I could actively drag the modes to a new position, and have the program remember the order, I would be very pleased.

Raymond

1 answer to this question

I would like to see this also, if it's not too much trouble to implement. Or, alternatively, is there a way that the selected mode can remain selected after the program shuts down, as with Preferences, so that we don't have to reset the modes each time we re-boot?

As a workaround, I use a startup macro to set all the tools to the mode I use most often. But it's not very satisfactory, since I don't always remember to run the macro, particularly when I re-boot in the middle of the day to shake off a technical glitch.

I always suspected that this problem caused the demise of the Extend tool. The default mode for Extend required the user to drag the extendee to the boundary, which made it a useless tool, doing hardly more than the Select tool can do. It's only if one tried out the second mode that the tremendous value of the Extend tool became apparent, allowing extension of an object by a single click to even an off-screen boundary, such as the far end of a long, thin surface object.