User control of extrude along path axis point

P Retondo

Question

Currently the "Extrude along path" tool extrudes the profile in such a way that the axis of the path passes through a program-selected point - looks like the centroid of the profile. That's okay for a default, but I would like to have the option to force the axis to pass through any point I choose - like a corner, or the center of a side, or whatever. I suggest this be done by allowing the user to place a 2D locus at that point. This would be parallel to the way the sweep tool works.

[ 03-02-2003, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

5 answers to this question

I?d love to see that done, too. And may be another way of doing it could be by using a line (any kind of line) assignating in it as many points as 2D locus were used to force the axis to pass by. This way increases flexibility and allows to use several different depths.

Ignatio, I don't understand what you are saying. Perhaps we are talking about two different things? I am saying, for example, if you have a path and extrude a circle along it, you will get a cylindrical shape centered on that path. I would like the option of, for example, having the cylinder extruded so that it is tangent to that path at some point on the circle.

P Retondo-simply edit the shape of the object (move the edge of the circle to the center) and that will place the circle edge on the "path".

What I would like is to extrude a circle along a path and taper it at the same time. IOW the extrude should start of thick go along a certain path all the while tapering to a point.

Shaun

Yes, I?m sorry, I was mistaken. I was talking about placing 2D locus along the path line used in the extrusion (not just one on the profile used), but there is no need to place different 2D locus on a composed line, because it produces different lengths (or "depths") by itself. I have also checked what Shaun says, and it works. But I like your idea better- it would be faster than to open an object to edit it...