I wish dims didn't snap to dim lines

kmead

Question

I have noticed this alot more in V10 than in 9.5.3, but in any case it would be really nice if new dimensions didn't snap to dimension lines of dimensions already laid down.

I often get spurious measurements as a result of this, its frustrating and I am constantly having to go delete and redo.

3 answers to this question

I think what Karl is talking about is dimension lines that are perpendicular. This happens to me all the time. When I try to dimension a corner of a wall, the first set of dimensions goes down fine. Then when I run the dimension string in the perpendicular direction the lines snap to the first line's end point. That end point is not the corner of the wall. It is a point in space that is away from the corner.

Perhaps I just don't understand the cursor cues. Perhaps NNA can elaborate on this.

Dimension lines and extension lines are treated the same as any other lines as far as constraint points are concerned. And the dimensioned point is not treated as a locus for snapping purposes; you can only snap to the dimensioned point if it's also a constraint point on an object (which it almost always is).

I don't have that problem of confusion between the dimensioned point and the end of the extension line, but I use an increased distance to the start of the extension line (default is .0625, I made it .15). I think I originally did that several years ago because of the problem you're talking about.