Wall cavity placement from edge instead of from center

P Retondo

Question

One of the reasons it's so convenient to use the wall styles tool is that you can enter the thickness of the wall elements. The way the wall tool dialog box works, by contrast, is that you have to calculate the distance of the cavity line from the center of the wall. If you have 5/8" gyp bd on the inside, and 1/2" ply plus 3/4" siding on the outside, try figuring out where the cavity lines are relative the center of the wall. Not that it can't be done, but it would be much easier if the cavity lines were placed relative to the outside of the wall instead of relative to the center.

[ 02-27-2003, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

4 answers to this question

I agree that the wall tool and wall styles should be integrated and simplified - see my earlier post on this issue. But I feel that wall styles is a very valid and useful concept, especially because it is possible to enter the thicknesses and line weights for various construction assemblies in a simple and intuitive way.

i've always thought it was strange to call them cavities. and even stranger to set them from the middle. wall styles sets up better

but is so far out of the way.

would be better if the wall styles tool had a way to scroll styles (and show which style was selected). instead of going to menu command