Mbuck

The ability to move linked symbol text

Question

AutoCad allows block attributes to be moved interactively anywhere around a symbol; thus allowing efficient formatting of block attributes on the fly. In VectorWorks, as one would appreciate, the point at which one links the text to a symbol, is the same place it will appear once inserted onto the drawing (assuming the symbol is not rotated at placement time). Murphy?s Law also dictates; however, that it will be the location at which that same text will obscure other important information already on the drawing. Probably other users will tell me that there is a work around; I know one of these already, define the linked text at various angles around the symbol and assign each linked record to a different class. Turn of the class for the text which obscures and turn another class on at a convenient location. Unfortunately this is very inefficient and cumbersome to setup and use attributed symbols in this way. Why is there not a tool which allows one to simple move the linked text to the desired location around the symbol?

4 answers to this question

It would make sense if the text position were an attribute of the symbol instance rather than the symbol definition.

This has been on my wish list for a while:

Make a generic version of the Label Legend Manager in Spotlight for other versions that could work for all symbols with attached data.

MK

Has this been solved yet? I am running into this issue with VW2018 at the moment where it seems one cannot move a symbol text of one instance that is overlapping another object where it should not overlap without changing the symbol as a whole and thus mess with the other instances which are ok.