need more roof images/textures

wpak

Question

a lot of expensive homes have tile roofs and it would be nice to have more tile roof textures and image fills in renderworks. the terra cotta spanish tile included would be more useful if it's color and even profile could be edited. matching monier tile, or something similar, colors and profiles would be great.

10 answers to this question

MikeB: thanks for the info-i'll check it out. it does seem a shame that one has to go outside or create one's own texture when i thought that is what i paid rw for. Having 25 diffferent metal textures and similar stuff is cool, but the roof is really a promiment feature and it would be nice to get it just right. if most other textures aren't right on, the result is usually passable, but a bad roof just looks bad and fakey. as long as this is the wish list section, i wish i didn't have to go outside to get fundamental stuff.

i did check out 3dcafe but couldn't find any good roof images even on the links (roof images must be particularly hard to do). maybe i wasn't looking in the right places. i, also, emailed bristile to see if i can get their cd of images and am waiting for their reply. if anyone else has any suggestions, it would be appreciated. for you vw folks listening in, the existing terra cotta spanish tile image in rw is just gorgeous. how nice it would be if you expanded on it....ah, think of the possibilities.

quote:

Originally posted by wpak:

MikeB: thanks for the info-i'll check it out. it does seem a shame that one has to go outside or create one's own texture when i thought that is what i paid rw for.

Accually what we paid for is a license to use the Lightworks rendering engine. Most 3-D rendering packages come with some stock textures, but if you look closely at some of the most successful renderings out there, I'd be willing to bet 90% of the textures are custom made.

Here's a few of my rendering if your interested in looking

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/showalbum.php?aid=97&uuid=ezra466

You should also try www.vectordepot.com I haven't been there for awhile but last time I checked they had a pretty big database of Vectorworks resources developing. But I do see what your saying, it would be nice to have better textures in the package.

Good Luck

except for the skimpy roof offerings, i am very pleased with the images/textures which came with rw and am especially pleased with the improvements which came with rw10 (image props and background). since many of the textures are editable, an infinite range of possibilities exist and i don't see much need to import more stuff...except the roof images.

to me, increasing the roof offerings would make a good program just perfect.

I have started using image fills for renderings and have simply made my own. I use Paint Shop Pro and create a 2" x 2" orginal bitmap. Then I take a copy of the image and turn it into a seamless tile (this is how may wallpaper patterns are created). With most patterns you really cannot detect the edges/repetition. With a few it can be noticed, however I have discoverd by setting the fill on an angle this pretty much disappears.