Dimension Class

Dan Kessler

Question

7 answers to this question

We like the process described by Katie. We set the Dimension class visible in all layers/classes, and then, if necessary, designate on which class it should be. This allows a floor plan and rcp to be drawn in the same WGR, with the relevant classes selected per class per plan.

Dimensions go into a class called Dimensions.

If you want dimensions to go into a different class, you will not be able to change them until after placing the dimensions and moving them to another class thru the OIP plalette.

To get your desired result, you could always run a script...

I have one here... [big Grin]

procedure RenameDimClass;

{ Change the class name for all objects in the DIMENSION class. }

Procedure NewClass(H :Handle);

Begin

SetClass(H, 'A-ANNO-DIMS');

End; { NewClass }

BEGIN

ForEachObject(NewClass, C='Dimension');

END;

Run(RenameDimClass);

If you make this a Plug-In Menu, and add it to your workspace, it will be available all the time.

This script will not change the class of dimensions that are embedded in Symbols, but it will work on dimensions that are grouped. If you need to enter Symbols, just ask, I can show you how to do that too.

HTH,

Raymond

Bruce,

You could still do that if the "dimension" class was named whatever you want. All I'd like to see is the option of naming the default dimension class. The AIA standard is A-ANNO-DIMS. I always have to move my dims to that class after they're created. This would save me the extra step.

Raymond,

You're a VectorWorks Wizard. It definitely will help me work around (one of my) frustrations with this program. Thanks!

Hey while you're at it, I'd love a way to modify the offset tool... I want to offset an object and have the resulting object be deselected while keeping the tool active. This would allow me to offset a different object the same distance without having to go to the selection tool to deselect all, then re-activating the offset tool.

Up for the challenge? [big Grin]

Dan,

I will have to play with the tool a bit before I can commit a solution to you. The offset tool is not one I use very much. Looking at the VS commands, I don't see a general Offset command. There is a new OffsetPoly command in VW10, which may make coding a new tool possible. Can you tell me on which object types you use the tool?

OK, I've played a bit. I notice the tool works nicely on Lines, Arcs, Ovals, Rects, and Polys; but Polylines suffer from too many new points being created, and RoundRects, not so hot, at least on VW852. It should be possible to do what you want with a script, but it will depend on the object types you want to offset.

Now, I did notice that if you select multiple objects and set an offset distance, then each time you click, the next selected object gets offset by the preset amount. It's not the most elegant feel for a tool, but it might be useful in some applications. However, if you click too many times, it comes back through the list again - not what I would want it to do. Just out of curiosity, have you tried this modality?

Raymond

Dan,

You can simply rename de Dimensions class!

Drawn dimensions will still go to this class, all you have to do is go to the Classes... panel and hit Edit to change it's name. I recommend you create Templates for your office with this arragement.

(FYI internally the Dimensions class is described by VW by the index 2, None is 1, so the names can be renamed at will).

Raymond,

I badly needed an offset poly code for a VW9.5 client recently... It was about calculating earth removed from foundation blocks escavation... and I ended up making an aproximation thing [Razz] not a very nice solution.

[ 01-07-2003, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Alexandre B A Villares ]