adding and deleting classes and layers

Dan Kessler

Question

When deleting a class or layer, I'd suggest that the class or layer should delete without a warning dialog only if the class or layer is empty. If the class / layer contains objects, a warning should come up telling me that the class / layer contains objects and deleting it will also delete the objects within it. Currently, the warning dialog only asks for confirmation to delete the class or layer. It does this regardless of whether the class/ layer is empty or not.

Also, I know about the "purge unused objects" from within the edit menu, but I think there should be a "purge" button within both of the class and layer windows. This would purge the empty (or unused) classes and layers.

And (yes, there's more), there needs to be an easier way to load classes and layers from other drawing files. Perhaps another button should be added to the class and layer windows to do this. This would allow you to load the class / layer structure from a template or another drawing, and VW should indicate which class / layer settings are different and ask me if I want to keep the class / layer's current settings, or use the one that I'm loading in. For an example of how this is done, see how form-Z does it.

• Like 1

1 answer to this question

I agree, especially the class management

should be more refined then what I do, like copying an object and paste it to another drawing

just to bring that class in.

Anyway, if you delete a class, you don't lose

any object belonging to it, they just go to the none class, (unlike layers).