Question on "Make Rack Equip Worksheet"

bjoerka

When i use the "Make Rack Equipment Worksheet" the worksheet is created, but when i adapt something in the rack layout i have to use the tool again.

It seems that the worksheet is generated only once and does not have a connection to the database.

Is that working correct?

In the online help this is described to work different with the ability to recalculate the worksheet and to make changes to the entries via the worksheet.

I have then setup my own worksheet which works so far, but i can´t get the subnumbering into my worksheet like it is done with the vw tool.

In the screenshot the left part is my own worksheet, the right show the one generated with the tool.

Is there a way to do this?

Bildschirmfoto2023-12-06um09_10_41.thumb.png.7e2e9f1d60c4a00483c2e85144ee6b68.png

Edited by bjoerka
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
7 hours ago, bjoerka said:

When i use the "Make Rack Equipment Worksheet" the worksheet is created, but when i adapt something in the rack layout i have to use the tool again.

It seems that the worksheet is generated only once and does not have a connection to the database.

Is that working correct?

- Yes this is correct. The created worksheet report is not a database as it cannot be created as such. That is why we have this special tool to create/update this worksheet for you.

7 hours ago, bjoerka said:

I have then setup my own worksheet which works so far, but i can´t get the subnumbering into my worksheet like it is done with the vw tool.

In the screenshot the left part is my own worksheet, the right show the one generated with the tool.

Is there a way to do this?

- Isn't this as simple as entering this number in the worksheet (15.1 , 15.2)? Or am I missing something? A test file with your worksheet only will help me see what is going on.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

16 minutes ago, TLeatherman said:

I was just about to ask this same question. Maybe the 2024 Help article is misleading? There doesn't seem to be a way to update the worksheet and the information change the Rack since it's not populated as a database?

Screenshot2023-12-08at8_55_11AM.thumb.png.fced565da9a21b06a7e21ba78cdacadd.pngScreenshot2023-12-08at8_54_57AM.thumb.png.3fc7fc5ce332145b92b6f02e406a70ad.png

Rack Elevation Worksheet Update Test.vwx 1.55 MB · 0 downloads

Yes, the help is misleading here, as the rack content worksheet is not a database. I will follow this up. Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1
On 12/6/2023 at 4:46 PM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- Yes this is correct. The created worksheet report is not a database as it cannot be created as such. That is why we have this special tool to create/update this worksheet for you.

- Isn't this as simple as entering this number in the worksheet (15.1 , 15.2)? Or am I missing something? A test file with your worksheet only will help me see what is going on.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hi Nikolay,

forgot to reply.

It´s nice to have a "one click tool" but when i have to make a small change to the layout in the rack and have to generate a new worksheet i also have to reformat this.

I´ll send you the file that i was working on directly about the subnumbering. But this is really only nice to have .-)

• Like 1

@bjoerka the reason we have designed this as a "vanilla" worksheet and not a database is simply because it isn't possible any other way. A database needs a criterion that selects a given set of drawing objects which means that empty rack positions would not be displayed. Can't have it all I'm afraid. But it's better than nothing.

C