Energy models w/ VW

Carl Burns

Question

2 answers to this question

I don't know what was reviewed or considered.

I know the DOE/2 was used since it's primarily an industry standard option that just about anyone can work with.

Is there a specific option in DOE/2 you would like more information about?

If you let me know, I can gather that information and get it to you. You can also email me at tech@nemetschek.net - Attn Katie and I will get the information to you Monday or Tuesday.

>it's primarily an industry standard option that just about anyone can work with.

Well, I'm planning to spend some time learning one of these programs. What I've put together so far: DOE-2 is complex, and a difficult program to use; it's implemented in various configurations, with programming overlays; I don't know about tech support for the program, or the species of it I would pursue. It seems to be a choice of engineering designers and able to handle large building models. Not particularly friendly, easy or quick to learn / use, but yes, an industry standard.

Energy 10 (again, from what I've put together) in contrast is aimed at ease of use / interface and at providing a tool for making schematic level design decisions without a great investment of modeling time. It's presently suited for small to medium buildings (I believe 25000 sf is the limit), although the plan is to remove that limit, and increase the program's scope and flexibility. The recent release has a component for evaluating long-term costs. In contrast to DOE-2, it sounds like a program an architect could love, well at least work with, in the context of a typical design process.

I'm raising this because I don't know much about any of it yet. The ability to export a 3d model to DOE-2 may be perfect, and quite unnecessary with Energy 10, because of its more general nature. Don't know. I was kind of hoping that someone at NNA had become the energy expert, and could help a bit on this score...some overview of the options for energy design and the intent of the connection with doe-2.

Thanks!

Carl