Data display bar...

Kevin Ford

Question

When working with the data display bar and entering coordinates by hand, I find it extremely frustrating when I tab one too many places and have to tab all the way through again. Implementing shift-tab to reverse tab would be swell. Also, if you REALLY want to impress, implement a way of moving through the data display bar so I won't have to take my hand off the numeric keypad! Perhaps modify the right arrow, or allow the user to set a preference that toggles the enter key on the keypad to control the data display bar. I'd pay money for that option alone...

Kevin Ford

I agree but I would add that I think NNA should change the position of the fields L (Length) and A (Angle) these parameters should be in the initial tab positions, and X and Y should be last. I could never fathom why X and Y are in the first and second tab positions. Who draws a line using their X and Y coordinates? My wish is that NNA change this tool bar so L and A are the first and second tab positions. I am sure this would enable most people to draw faster. Maybe in version 11 perhaps?

quote:

Originally posted by Kevin Ford:

...a way of moving through the data display bar so I won't have to take my hand off the numeric keypad...

The Enter key on the numeric keypad does this, at least in Windows. Is it different in Macintosh? I can't remember.

Only the keypad Enter key, not the main Enter key. Press it once to highlight the X coordinate box, then press it again to go on to Y, and so on, with or without having typed a value. It's one of the best features of the program, and a very fast and easy way to enter coordinates. Of course, you have to take your hand off the keypad for any dimension in feet and inches that you can't mentally convert to inches, but that's true in any program. Can anyone think of a solution to that?

quote:

Originally posted by Mbuck:

I could never fathom why X and Y are in the first and second tab positions. Who draws a line using their X and Y coordinates?

Who draws lines at all?

VectorWorks excels at the 2D Surface, made up of rectangles and sometimes circles, added and/or clipped to form a more complex shape, which is then easily re-shaped, including edges hidden as required, and then solid filled or hatched, with a line weight, type, and color specified once for all its visible edges. In drawing the original rectangle, we enter its length and width very quickly and easily with the numeric keypad -- Enter once, then X, Enter again, then Y, and Enter again and release the mouse button. And when stretching a rectangle: Hit the keypad Enter key once to stretch horizontally, twice to stretch vertically.

quote:

Originally posted by Mbuck:

...change this tool bar so L and A are the first and second tab positions...this would enable most people to draw faster...

Who are these "most" people that are drawing more things at odd angles than orthogonally? I use the X and Y coordinate entry boxes almost constantly, but I can't remember ever using the L and A boxes. Do you know about setting constrain angle? and setting grid angle to work on something that isn't all X and Y orthogonal? These methods are easier and faster than entering an A coordinate anyway. And if you're drawing individual lines and entering their length, you're not taking advantage of the speed the program offers.

quote:

Originally posted by jan15:

Only the keypad Enter key, not the main Enter key. Press it once to highlight the X coordinate box, then press it again to go on to Y, and so on, with or without having typed a value. It's one of the best features of the program, and a very fast and easy way to enter coordinates.

The problem with using enter is that it locks in the value. So lets say I wanted to constrain the object I'm drawing to a pre-determined y value. If I press enter to access the data display bar, and then press it again, it locks in the x value of the cursor. I realize I'm nitpicking and they're probably isn't a way to get around this, so I'll resign myself to just get over my laziness.

I agree with one of the posts that said the

'L' entry should be first. (This is my wish. Please add Katie. Thank you.)

The logic is:

drafting is faster when there is only a length to think of

-in and by which the direction of x or y is controled by your constraints. (or holding the shift key to keep orthagonal)

Most drawings are very linear, to trust in the

orthagonal mode or set angle.

(Just a note: this is a method used in Visual Cadd as well as AutoCadd)

Thanks for the original post [Razz]

When I used Microstation several years ago, they had a feature that allowed you to hit the X or Y key and the entry point for the data bar would jump to the X or the Y value.

I think it would be an improvement if Vectorworks would implement a similar shortcut in the data display bar. Tabing to move through the values is OK, but hitting the X, Y, A or L keys to move directly to that value would be a nice addition.

As I remember more now

'L' entry was the default for most procedures like distance for walls, lines and copy & move ( I've written scripts for a instant click copy & move, that should but don't exist in the program )

-except- when objects were drawn like: rectangles, that needed "x,y' value input

I think now the argument might not be for -

'L' first or 'x,y' first on display bar. -but-

Programming could be thinking a little more for the user with 'if then, expect for..etc. procedures'

quote:

Originally posted by Katerina:

... instant click copy & move...

If you hold down the Ctrl key and click on something, it makes a duplicate of that object.

If you hold down the Ctrl key when starting to move something by dragging, the original stays in place and a duplicate of it is moved.

Is this what you mean by instant click copy & move?

[ 02-12-2003, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: jan15 ]

quote:

...drafting is faster when there is only a length to think of...

No! Drafting is faster when you draw with rectangles.

Each vector you draw with the Rectangle tool creates four lines.

It's four times faster than drawing with lines!

And we need the X and Y dimensions for drawing and stretching rectangles.

Width and length of rooms, width and height of wall surfaces, etc.

The built environment is mostly made up of rectangles.

But maybe there should be a special coordinate system that appears only when drawing or stretching lines (as there is when stretching circles, using the Rotate tool, etc.), with L & A first, to accomodate people who like to draw slowly. Would that satisfy everyone?

[ 02-12-2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: jan15 ]

a solution to compromise all situations:

(because I need both cases myself)

Example:

(1,2) = (x,y) or

(1) = Length

----------------------------------------------------

While

shift key controls ortho, true or false, and

Length = direction of cursor

-----------------------------------------------------

If (1) is entered

then return

x = Length

If (1) is entered

comma entered

(2) entered

1=x

2=y

Anyone else ?

quote:

how about walls guys.

Yes, the Wall tool works like the Line tool. Perhaps it would be all right to have L and A first for that also. When I use the Wall tool, I'm ususally clicking on constraint points, not entering length or width. Anyone else care about this?

I didn't understand your next posting, about a more complicated coordinate entry system, but I definitely didn't like the sound of this:

...shift key controls ortho, true or false...

The great thing about the present system is that it's one-handed. You can enter coordinates on the keypad with the right hand, without looking, while at the same time moving and clicking the mouse with the left.

Introducing a Shift key into that process would be like a knife through the heart.

[ 02-12-2003, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: jan15 ]

quote:

(1,2) = (x,y) or (1)=(L)

But there's no comma on the numeric keypad! So to enter X and Y coordinates, you would have to move your hand back and forth between the keypad and the comma key, or use the typewriter keyboard exclusively, either of which is a very slow way to enter coordinates, as anyone who suffered through AutoCad for many years can confirm.

This method is much more objectionable than the original proposal by the Slow-Draw team, of placing the L and A coordinates ahead of the X and Y coordinates. That proposal at least didn't require searching all over the keyboard every time you enter coordinates.

[ 02-14-2003, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: jan15 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Bruce Brooks:

Jan15, rectangles may be faster for you, but to develop drawing and software standards, we can't all rely on that technique.

But we CAN all rely on YOUR technique?

Drawing with rectangles, and using the numeric keypad to enter coordinates, are not just faster for me, they're simply faster methods. And they're an important part of the unique excellence of VectorWorks.

If you choose to use the slower methods, of drawing one line at a time, and of moving your hand around the typewriter keyboard between Tab, numbers, and comma, you're certainly entitled to do that. But it's not right to alter the program to enhance the slower method at the expense of the faster method.

Unless it turns out that most people aren't using the faster method for some reason. You seem to assume that, but why?

quote:

BTW, the function described mimics AutoCad.

This is actually an argument against. AutoCad is a very cumbersome and limited CAD program. Its coordinate entry system is so bad that few people use it, resorting instead to things like the Offset command to set dimensions. I wouldn't have thought I needed to point that out in this forum.

I agree with K.

The idea - Start a line or wall, drag the cursor in the X direction (or Y direction), enter "L", and you have the endpoint. The cursor can be constrained to 90d, or every 15d, or whatever. The "L" could be set up ready to accept the number, and the X or Y could be tabbed to, if necessary.

BTW, the function described mimics AutoCad.

Jan15, rectangles may be faster for you, but to develop drawing and software standards, we can't all rely on that technique.