Grey/Snap layers

AMO

Question

10 answers to this question

With grey others, you cannot snap to the objects as they are just there .. in grey.

Snap others needs the layer to be active to be able to snap to it.

Do you need a layer option that shows layers in grey, but the capabitlity of snapping?

if you want to dive into the world of vectorscript

you could write a script that makes all layers set to a grey colour

except the active layer

and the preference to use layer colours

and show/snap others.

bingo you have your working mode.

you might want it to store your layer colour setup

if you use layer colours otherwise

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

Do you need a layer option that shows layers in grey, but the capabitlity of snapping?

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he wants, Katie, I've occasionally wanted something like that myself. Actually, I'd like to see it go further; instead of just graying, you would have the option of selecting a "graying" color for each layer, so a given layer could be red (or faded towards red), another green, etc. But then I don't use the package for actual work. What do you users think?

As iboymatt said, this grey+snap state can be achieved by:

Setting default colors for your layers at the Layers... Panel (Colors...). Try grey.

Setting the "Use Layer Colors" at the Document Preferences... (Display tab). Use "Show /Snap Others" now.

The catch is that all objects on your active layer are set to some default color too (i.e. black).

[i've never used this colored layer stuff myself, I use Classes for graphic attributes]

cheers,

Alexandre

yes that is what i want!!!

cant believe the responce to this thread i was expecting about 1 reply not 8 !!! [smile]

glad to see i am not the only one who would like to see this feature. somethign i find a bit lacking in the program and would certainly make my work a lot easier and faster

I use "use layer color" frequently when I want to figure out what is on what layer or edit objects just on one layer. With this prefence on you still use the show/snap layers and sanp to object on other layers. I give each layer a different color and voila. My objects still have their class color/attributes when I go back to the regular view mode. Have you tried this option?