Linux

Burgess Architecture

Question

This is a topic that hasn't gained much attention here.Will Vectorworks ever be available for Linux? Being that Linux was added to the wish list 18 months ago is it now time to make some commitment one way or the other? What are some of the issues that this question raises?

I think the hole in the market is still there and Linux popularity seems to be on the rise - I don't think it can be ignored. Like someone else mentioned, Vectorworks is the only thing that keeps me married to Micro$oft.

Has anyone tried VW with a win emulator on Linux?

8 answers to this question

I too would love a linux port. it is probably the only program i come into windows from linux to use and is really anoying. Vectorworks wont work in linux atm under WINE as it doesnt read the dongle properly.

so all that would really be needed would be dongle drivers for linux

but a full port would be best. as for mac......

people who already have a pc and have invested money into a pc computer would like a linux port .

some of us could only just afford a pc and a copy of vectorworks we cant afford to shell out for a copy of vectorworks mac and a mac its self.

so lets here it for linux!!!

would a linux port really be hard to acchive? isnt Mac os X freeBSD with a few snippets so surly most of the code for linux is already there.

also you must be coding parts of it in linux [smile]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by AMO:

would a linux port really be hard to acchive? isnt Mac os X freeBSD with a few snippets so surly most of the code for linux is already there.

also you must be coding parts of it in linux
[smile]

Programming for Linux is about as different from programming for Mac OS X as it is from programming for Windows. The great majority of our operating system-dependent stuff is GUI calls. Linux uses X and associated toolkits, which has no relation to the Macintosh's Aqua interface.

If the bigwigs at NNA thought a Linux port would increase profits, however, they'd make the arrangements to produce one. In these economically uncertain times, however, it could be an expensive gamble.

That's clear.

But can't anyone at Nemetschek indicate any chances or schedules?

We work with Vectorworks on windows from start, but would seriously consider a change of program if there won't be a Linux option in the near future; sick as we are of microsoft and sceptical as we are of born again mac's.

vectorworks would do well to do a linux port in my eyes. so far there is no big CAD program for linux. so the market is waiting for one. There must be lots of architecutral practises out there thatwould love to run there businesses on a stable operating system with a great cad app.

The Linux advantage/argument about being a more stable platform has grown thin since both Windows and MacOSX have developed into relatively stable OS's as well.

Linux adoption may be rising but how many architects do you think actually use it? Sorry, but IMHO, the CAD market for Linux is practically zero.

ariel