Extruding along a nurbs path

A good feature of nurbs is that individual vertices can have z values i.e nurbs don?t have to be coplanar. With this in mind one could think of the nurbs path as a road centre-line and then one should be able to draw a cross-section to define the road profile and then also convert this profile to a nurbs curve whereby one could select this curve (road centre line) and the road profile and then use the extrude along path command to model a road carriageway. Anyway, I thought this was the logical way to do such a thing, however, to my surprise it doesn't work. Is there a work-around? I have used the create road from stakes command but one is limited as to how the road profile can look and road grade transitions (vertical curves) are not handled correctly. As one can probably surmise, I am experimenting with the new 3D power pack features, which appear very powerful I am sure, therefore, that someone must know a workaround using the 3D power pack features. Can anyone help?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I am not sure why the extrude along path in your case does not work. Note that extrude along path has been there from 9.0 release and is not a Power Pack feature. In any case, I just tried drawing a NURBS curve - changing some Z values and extruding a line aling the NURBS curve to create a road-like shape. May be you can send me the file privately and I can take a look at it. My guess is that your profile shape and path undulation combination is creating a self-intersecting situation.