How to deal with large areas of meadow?

Hello,

We have a file that has become extremely slow. VSS are looking into it, but hoping someone here may have a good workaround!

NB. The file has its origins set up correctly, and no objects too far from the origins. We have moved our workgroup to dropbox to access it locally rather than over VPN.

Speculation is that Vwx is unhappy with the large areas of meadow planting (a few at c.5000m² each), which are one of the things we created shortly before the go-slow. Usually, we have included 'landscape areas' of meadow in projects with little difficulty, by creating a plant named e.g. 'Meadow Mix 1' and assigning it to the landscape area at 1 plant/m², at 100% of that 'species'. Then in data tag/plant schedule, we get 'Xm² Meadow Mix 1'. We think Vwx may be upset by the size of the meadow areas in this project, and the idea that there are thousands of plants... is there something we can do differently to avoid this, but still get the meadow areas included accurately/updated automatically in the data tag and plant schedule?

@Katarina Ollikainen one for you perhaps?

• Like 1

Completely guessing here, but do you have Show Plants checked in the 2D Display and 3D Display settings for the landscape area?

For that large of area could you get by with turning off the plant display and just using a texture or hatch instead? I think VW will still calculate the number of plants required.

Or at least try this until you need a very high quality rendering and turn on Display Plants then?

33 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Completely guessing here, but do you have Show Plants checked in the 2D Display and 3D Display settings for the landscape area?

For that large of area could you get by with turning off the plant display and just using a texture or hatch instead? I think VW will still calculate the number of plants required.

Or at least try this until you need a very high quality rendering and turn on Display Plants then?

Thanks - but no, we don't have any of that turned on, it's just a big block of plain colour!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Amanda McDermott, there is a bug at the moment, which makes the landscape area to always carry the geometry of the plants, even if you don't have them activated in 2D. This is being fixed and I'll let you know when it's done. The landscape area is foremost created to avoid the need for using the plant images in 2D and I assume that's the way you want to use them.

However, I also tested the problem in an otherwise empty file and created several areas, with an area of 50 000 m2 (instead of the 5000 you used), and this didn't slow down the file, so I'm wondering if there is something else creating the problem.

The use of one plant is exactly how I would recommend doing it, and I assume you haven't added any 3D geometry to this 'mix-plant' with a heavy texture.

• Like 1
On 11/5/2023 at 5:49 AM, Katarina Ollikainen said:

@Amanda McDermott, there is a bug at the moment, which makes the landscape area to always carry the geometry of the plants, even if you don't have them activated in 2D. This is being fixed and I'll let you know when it's done. The landscape area is foremost created to avoid the need for using the plant images in 2D and I assume that's the way you want to use them.

However, I also tested the problem in an otherwise empty file and created several areas, with an area of 50 000 m2 (instead of the 5000 you used), and this didn't slow down the file, so I'm wondering if there is something else creating the problem.

The use of one plant is exactly how I would recommend doing it, and I assume you haven't added any 3D geometry to this 'mix-plant' with a heavy texture.

Thanks - hopefully the bug fix will resolve it. It does seem to have been to do with the meadow areas, my colleague says VSS helped her to delete the plant from the area and it's sped up the drawing...