Previews

pedro

Question

i understand this may be a tall order.

many other graphic applications provide previews of their files in the "open file window" for the Mac OS enviorment (ie photoshop, illustrator, quark....)

is it possible that someday when i go to open a VW file i can see a preview of the file in the little window by its name?

hey... its "WISH" list right? grin.gif" border="0

5 answers to this question

obviously you dont know the parameters required...

computers are design to handle computations. this would be but another series of computations.

computers are not going to "freak out". have you seen the new OS for mac....? do we need all those silly graphics? no. but there they are.

perhaps it is the users that freak out... not the machines....

with love,

pedro tongue.gif" border="0

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by pedro:
is it possible that someday when i go to open a VW file i can see a preview of the file in the little window by its name?

Anything is possible...

What would probably be the best mechanism for doing this would be the VectorWorks drawing file itself to have an embedded preview bitmap, generated either based on the current display as you save the file, or at some user-specified time. The file preview code could then look for that bitmap and display it when you select a file in the File Open dialog.

The disadvantage of doing this is that we would probably have to implement a custom File Open dialog to support it, rather than using the system's one. It would thus tend to lag behind, possibly missing the latest things like Windows XP's drop-down list of recent files of the same type.