Sign in to follow this  
Mat Caird

What about AutoSave and AutoBackup?

Question

What about AutoSave and AutoBackup - Considering how often I crash using VW, I woulda thought these functions were essential.

BTW, the save reminder is better than nothing, but why not just an autosave ? Is it a MAC thing?

And while we're on the MAC topic, is that why the scroll wheel doesn't do anything in VW? 'CAuse it makes zooming and panning quicker than hitting C or V...

6 answers to this question

I would settle for an autobackup of the file when you close it, perhaps this could be tied to the autosave function. The backup should be saved in the same location with a suffix (ie. autocad used .bak) so that this could be deleted or changed and the backup opened if the original becomes corrupted, etc..

Mat, this has been discussed before and I think the best answer to why there's not "auto save" is that there are times (many in fact) when we dont want to save, rather to revert, which can be done by closing (or quitting) without saving and then re-opening. I have trained myself over many years to hit Command (control) S very often, like every five minutes or whenever I do something I know I'll keep. PLC MacG4 OS 9.2 VW9.5.1

Mat, this has been discussed before and I think the best answer to why there's not "auto save" is that there are times (many in fact) when we dont want to save, rather to revert, which can be done by closing (or quitting) without saving and then re-opening. I have trained myself over many years to hit Command (control) S very often, like every five minutes or whenever I do something I know I'll keep. PLC MacG4 OS 9.2 VW9.5.1

I too have trained myself to save all the time...but it is such an essential feature, especially for such a buggy piece of software!

And autosave doesn't do much for you when a file becomes corrupted, hence the autobackup.

A late extra, like Fred says- there should be an autobackup feature, automatically saving a backup somewhere.

The save reminder is really irritating!

Thanks to comments like these, the autosave system received dramatic improvements for VectorWorks 10.

Please keep those ideas coming!

Mark Farnan

Core Technologies and Imaging Manager

Nemetschek NA